Summary: “Unless the Lord builds the family, the work of the parents is in vain . . . children are a gift from God. They are a reward from the Lord” (Ps. 127:1,3 Modern Translation).
“Unless the Lord builds the family, the work of the parents is in vain . . . children are a gift from God. They are a reward from the Lord” (Ps. 127:1,3 Modern Translation).
1.To give them a Christian environment. “How from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation” (II Tim. 3:15 NIV).
2.To give them godly instruction.
My children, listen to me, listen to your fathers instruction.
Pay attention and grow wise, for I am giving you good guidance.
Don’t turn away from my teaching, for I too was once my father’s son, tenderly loved by my mother” (Prov. 4:1-3 LB).
B. TO LEARN FROM LYNCHBURG CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
1.To know the basics of education. I want my children to have a firm grounding in the 4 R’s. Reading . . . Writing . . . Arithmetic . . . Religion. I also want them to be technological up-to-date.
2. To have a foundation for university and graduate school. I want them to get as much education as possible.
3. To learn to work hard to get ahead. I want them to learn discipline, how to succeed, and a passion to be the best.
4. To learn obedience to school rules, government laws, and the policies where they will work. “Train up a child in the way he shall go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it” (Prov. 22:6).
5.To make Christian friends and learn the benefit of living with other Christians.
C. TO LEARN FROM THOMAS ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH
1. To submit to the Great Commission. “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you” (Matt. 28:19,20 NIV).
2. To carry out the Great Commandment. “Jesus replied, ‘Love the Lord your God with all you heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment’” (Matt. 22:37 NIV). Compassion is one of the greatest expressions of love. I want them to learn to give to the poor, needy and helpless through TRBC.
3. To learn how to worship God in the house of God. “A time is coming . . . when true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshippers the Father seeks. God is spirit and His worshipers must worship Him in spirit and in truth” (John 4:23,24 NIV).
4. To learn the power of corporate testimony. I want them to learn that what many can’t do individually, we can do together.” “We are laborers together with God” (I Cor. 4:4).
5. To know that the local church is the prominent instrument of God’s works in the world. I want them to love para-church ministries, but realize the local church is first and primary.
6. To obey God by submitting to church ordinances. I want them to be baptized when they understand it’s meaning and obligations. I want them to rightly take the Lord’s Table when they get old.
D. TO LEARN FROM FAMILY
1. To know they are unconditionally loved. “Fathers do not exasperate your children, instead bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord” (Eph. 6:4 NIV).
2. To know God loves them and has a special plan for their lives.
3. To know they must be born again. “Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again” (John 3:7). I hope my wife or I get to lead them to Christ.
4. To put God first in everything. “But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you” (Matt. 6:33).
5. To learn to obey their parents. “Honor thy father and thy mother that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee” (Ex. 20:12).
6. To put family above all relationships. I believe what my father taught me and I will teach it to my children. “If a man fails with his children, although he succeeds in everything else, that man has failed.” (Jerry Falwell).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.