Summary: A look at fatherhood and all its implications
What is a Father?
Text: Ps. 90:1-2, 11-17, Eph. 6:1-4
1. There is two ways to recognize power.
1. One is to see it at work.
2. Is to measure it when it is gone.
2. What we are witnessing in America, is the results of absentee fathers
a. Drugs & promiscuity
Take an older elephant and let him teach the younger rouge elephants, how to behave
3. Fathers are misunderstood creatures
1. What is a mother? You know right away.
What is a father? Well, that takes some thinking through
2. It is said that father is found in the dictionary between fathead & fatigued
3. We fathers, are like the man in this story.
There was a man who had no children who wrote a book entitled…
“How to raise children.”
After he had a few children… he wrote another book.
“Ideas for raising children”
After they had gotten a little older, he wrote yet another book, “Tips from a struggling father”
And after they had reached teenage years, he took it upon himself to write yet another book entitled,
“Anybody out there got any ideas?”
What is a father?
A. Fathers are those called by God to establish and lead homes
1. Read Gen. 2:20-25
2. God anointed him for this job
The promise is good things to the children that submit under their fathers
B. Fathers are a picture of God to their children
1. God has chosen earthen vessels to bear his glory before the children
a. The word tells us that in the image of God, man was made.
"Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image… So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." (Genesis 1:26-27, NKJV)
"For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man."
(1 Corinthians 11:7, NKJV)
b. Man, more than woman, shows forth the male likeness of his Father-God
1. Can woman portray God? Does she too, bear the image of her creator? Yes, but not his male characteristics.
Woman show forth the motherhood of God – his compassion, his feelings, his sensitivity
2. Man shows forth his male like character - his warrior tendencies, love of battle, his strength.
C. A father is one who is more sure he does not know what he is doing than you are sure of
1. A real father, deals with dealings of inadequacies all the time
1. What is something you wished above all else, your father knew?
I wish my dad knew….
Play DVD on Our father’s love letter to us
1. Maybe its time to make some things right with your fathers.
Fathers, maybe its time we make some things right with our children
I Took a Piece of Plastic Clay
by: Author Unknown,
I took a piece of plastic clay
And idly fashioned it one day-
And as my fingers pressed it, still
It moved and yielded to my will.
I came again when days were past
The bit of clay was hard at last.
The form I gave it, still it bore,
And I could change that form no more!
Use Amy and Aaron & John for this next part
I took a piece of living clay,
And gently fashioned it day by day,
And molded with my power and art
A young child’s soft and yielding heart.