"Busy souls have no time to be busybodies."
"As you walk on the sands of time, take care what your footprints reveal;
So the imprint you leave may be that of a soul, and not that of a heel!"
- Unknown Pulpit Helps, Oct. 1991, p. 8.
Michaelangelo, the sculptor, who died in 1564, left in his will
the following testimony: "I commit my soul to God, my body to
earth, my possessions to my nearest relatives. I die in the faith
of Jesus Christ, in the firm hope of a better life."
Ebenezer Erskine, a devoted Scottish preacher, who died in 1754,
was visited on his deathbed by a friend, who asked him,
"What are you doing now with your soul, Mr. Erskine?"
to which the preacher replied,
"I am doing with it what I did forty years ago, resting it on the Word of the Lord."
David Brainard, a preacher of the past once said:
I care not where I go, or how I live, or what I endure, so that I may lead souls to Christ. When I sleep I dream of them; when I awake they are first in my thoughts.
No amount of scholastic attainment, of able and profound exposition, of brilliant and stirring eloquence can atone for the absence of a deep, impassioned sypathetic love for human souls.
God requires three things of us in order to use us as soul winners:
1.) A love for God.
2.) A love for the lost.
3.) AND to be available.
- Zig Ziglar
Some theologians tell us
1. With the SPIRIT….We COMMUNICATE with GOD.
2. With the SOUL……We COMMUNICATE with MANKIND.
3. With the BODY……We COMMUNICATE with the EARTH.
SOME THINGS THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT THE SOUL:
Mt:22:37: Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mt:10:28: "….fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
Mt:11:29: Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mt:16:26: For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Lk:12:19: And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
Lk:12:20: But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
THE QUESTION: "WHAT IS THE WORTH OF A SOUL…….to you?"
A Soul Asleep:
An anonymous woman we knew,
Was dozing one day in her pew.
When the preacher yelled, "Sin!"
She said, "Count me in, As soon as the service is through."
(NEGLECT OF THE SOUL)
SOME PRIMARY WORDS TO CONSIDER:
Verse 36: He saw….the multitudes
1. Theie Condition Socially
2. Their Condition Nationally
3. Their Condition Emotionally
4. Their Condition Intellectually
5. Their Condition Physically
6. Their Condition Spiritually
NONE OF THESE CONDITIONS WERE ACCEPTABLE FOR ENTRANCE INTO THE KINGDOM OF GOD.
Many, if not all of them were:
2. Disease ridden
3. Steeped in Religion
4. Had False Joy
5. Had False Peace
7. They were unstable….their were double minded
8. False since of security
9. Much Pride
10. THEY WERE PUTTING ON A FRONT
Verse 36: He saw….the multitudes
A Message they needed to hear:
1. They were lost
2. They were in need of "THE" SAVIOR (Jesus)
3. They were in need of salvation of the spirit and soul and the body. (The whole man)
1. Where they had been….their past
2. Where they are……….their present
3. Where they would be…their future
At that time did not include HIM.
They were "AFOREKNOWN" He being Omniscient.
1. Those that were saved (meaning present tense)
2. Those that were lost (meaning present tense)
3. Those that would be saved (meaning future tense)
4. Those that would be eternally lost (meaning future tense)
LET'S UNDERSTAND ALSO THAT HE, BEING GOD, MAY HAVE LIMITED HIMSELF AS TO NOT SEEING THESE THINGS HWILE ON EARTH..
The message this morning asks you:
COLLECTIVELY: "WHAT IS A SOUL WORTH?"
PERSONALLY: "WHAT A SOUL WORTH TO YOU?"
INDIVIDUALLY: "WHAT IS THE SOUL OF OTHERS WORTH?"
1. The soul of your neighbor
2. The soul of your friend
3. The soul of a love one
a. Your husband
b. Your Wife
c. Your son
d. Your daughter