Summary: Fasting is a non-required discipline.
A. CHRISTIAN FASTING IS A NON-REQUIRED DISCIPLINE
Jesus said, “When you fast” (Matthew 6:16). Did Jesus mean you must fast, or did He give you an option? “If you fast?” Christian fasting is described:
1. Alters your diet, or
2. Eliminates food and/or drink
3. For a biblical purpose,
4. Accompanied with prayer.
B. RICHARD FOSTER SAID THERE HAS NOT BEEN A SIGNIFICANT WORK ON FASTING IN 100 YEARS. WHY?
2. Addiction / food.
3. No revival.
4. Need discipline and character.
5. Abundance of food has isolated us from realities of hunger.
6. Not healthier.
7. No testimony.
8. Growth of demonic forces.
C. HOW TO BEGIN FASTING
1. Ask God to lead you in your fast. Jesus describes fasting in the context of the Lord’s Prayer – Matt. 6:9-15. “When ye fast, be not . . . of a sad countenance . . . but anoint thy head, and wash thy face, that thou appear not unto men to fast” (Matt. 6:16-18, KJV).
a. Private for a personal request.
b. Joint for a group project.
2. Write out your purpose, plan and length.
3. Begin with a one day fast, i.e., the (Yom Kippur) Day of Atonement Fast. “On the tenth day of the seventh month of each year, you must go without eating to show sorrow for your sins” (Lev. 16:29, CEV). The Yom Kippur Fast is from sundown to sundown (Jewish day).
a. If the issue is greater than a one-day fast; try fasting one day a week for 3 weeks or 7 weeks.
b. Better to take small steps and succeed, than a giant step and fail.
4. Eat a light snack before sundown (English high tea).
5. Dedicate time for meals to prayer.
6. Bring Bible, books, notes, etc., (see specific fast).
D. PRACTICAL HELP TO BEGIN
Fast: What you will withhold ________________________
Begin: Date _____________ Time _____________________
End: Date ______________ Time _____________________
Vow: I believe God is the only answer to my request and that prayer without fasting is not enough to get an answer to my need. Therefore, by faith I am fasting because I need God to work in this matter.
Bible Basis: My Bible promise _________________________
Resources: What I need during this fast ________________________________________________
God being my strength and grace being my basis, I commit myself to the above fast.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc.
Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns’ web address is www.elmertowns.com.