Summary: This message challenges us to take a look at our life and see its worth.
Title: “What Is Life?”
Introduction: Ask anyone you meet to give you a definition of LIFE, and no two people will give you the same answer.
Even in this congregation, the answers would be as varied as the flowers of the field.
We each have our own interpretation of life, but the non-believer thinks of life as an accident, while the believer acknowledges life as a sacred trust from God.
If you had listened to the Hippie generation in the sixties, you would
have heard a song with lyrics that described life as “what you do
while you’re waiting to die”.
An early Eighteenth Century philosopher penned it this way…… “Life is an unpleasant interlude of nothingness”.
Most of us would at least agree that these two quotes are sad comments on life, and we might even counter them with our own rebuttal that would go something like this:
“Life is like a mountain railroad, With an engineer that’s brave; We must make the run successful, From the cradle to the grave;
Watch the curves, the fills, the tunnels; Never falter, never quail, Keep your hand upon the throttle and your eye upon the rail.”
In our biblical text, James does not give a definition of life, but
rather, he expresses its brevity as that of a vapor that appears and then,
just as quickly, vanishes! How true! Why? In comparison to ETERNITY life is as a vapor.
Life Is Short.
1. Place a tea kettle of water on the stove and as it heats to the boiling point the water turns to steam, but that steam doesn’t fill the kitchen; it disappears about a foot above the kettle
2. God’s Word tells us that our lives are like a vapor that appears for a little time, and then vanishes.
3. Life is short, and the older I get...the shorter it seems!
4. James warns us of making future plans and leaving the Lord out of them; of making plans without realizing that we may not be around to complete them!
1. If you have ever seen an old-fashioned loom in operation you know how fast the shuttle moves back and forth across the loom.
2. Job said that was how fast his days were passing.
3. We may know of someone who has lived a long and full life, perhaps 90- 100 years; but that is the exception!
4. Ps. 90:10, "The days of our years are threescore and ten..."
5. Life is short! A fourteen year-old boy and his friends were sniffing Scotch- guard from and aerosol can and died!
6. Washington, DC is America’s murder capital, with 487 homicides in 1991 and 1992 began with four murders in the first four hours! Life is short!
IN RESPONSE TO THE MESSAGE TITLE, “What Is Your Life?”
I. LIFE IS A GIFT FROM GOD.
a. (Gen. 2:7) “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
c. We know that God gave His Son into the world as a GIFT, therefore that makes LIFE a GIFT from God.