Summary: A indepth Study of Christ and The Church.
What is The Church?
A. Our study is about Christ and the Church.
B. The purpose is to learn the relationship that exists.
A. What Is The Church?
1. The Called Out: 2 Thes. 2:14 “Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
2. The House of God: 1 Tim. 3:15 “But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.”
3. The Body of Christ: Eph 1:22,23 “And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, Which is his body, the fullness of him that filleth all in all.
B. What is the relationship between Christ and the Church?
1. He is the HEAD of it: Col. 1:18 “And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.”
a. Note John 1:1-4 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
2. He is the Foundation and the builder of it: Matt. 16:18 “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
3. He Bought it: Acts 20:28 “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
4. He is the Savior of it: Eph 5:23 & Acts 2:47 “23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. NOTE: that the Body is the Church. Acts 2:47 “Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
5. It is His Bride: Eph 5:27 “That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.”
C. Can One Be Saved Out of the Church? What is IN the Church?
1. Forgiveness: Eph 1:7 ”In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;”
2. Salvation: 2Tim 2:10 “Therefore I endure all things for the elect’s sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.”
3. Grace: 2Tim 2:1 “Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
4. Reconciliation: 2 Cor 5:19 “And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
5. All Promises: 2 Cor 1:20 “For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
6. Every Spiritual Blessing: Eph 1:3 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:”
If ALL Spiritual blessings are in Christ, [including Heaven] John 14:6. How do we get in Christ?
We have to hear the word of God. Not just the nouns and verbs but hear and understand what is being taught. Romans 10:17, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” So it’s not just hearing, but it’s hearing the word of God.
We have to believe what we have heard. These are not just words; they are the footsteps of Jesus and the plan of salvation. Jesus said, John 8:24 “For if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.” Belief in Christ is essential. There is NO other way.
We must repent of our sins. Jesus said in “Luke 13:3 “I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” Unless we repent, we perish. That is the consequence of SIN.
We must confess that Jesus is the Christ, The only begotten son of God. Jesus said in Matt10:32 “Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. (33) But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.