Summary: The purpose of trials for the believer is said to involve the perfecting to our faith
What Is The Color Of Your Faith?-By Reverend A. L. Torrence
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith–of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire–may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
1. The purpose of trials for the believer is said to involve the perfecting to our faith. God is more concerned with your faith than he is of your feelings and comfort. Because your faith is more precious than materials and worldly things. He’s more concern with you having an indestructible faith than he his about you having a nice house, car, a nice husband, family, and friends.
2. The refining process that we need to be aware of is that step 1 the heat is turned on.
a. Our faith will be tested
b. Our work will be tested (1 Cor. 3.12-13) If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work.
c. Our convictions will be tested. (Daniel 3)
i. Verse 6 tells us that we may have to suffer various trials (all kinds of trials). This expression in Greek literally means “many colored trials”. As to say that many Christians may have to endure all kinds of troubles.
ii. As we pass through the flames to be purified, we need to understand that our trials have different levels of intensity depending on what it is in our faith that needs to be purified and perfected. And if you have ever study the colors of flames from a fire you may have notice that there are three primary colors within that flame.
iii. Color tells us about the temperature of a candle flame. The outer core of the candle flame is light blue (1400 Celsius). This blue area is the hottest part of the flame. The color inside the flame then becomes yellow (amber) and finally red. These are the primary colors blue, yellow, and red. The further you reach to the center of the flame the lower the temperature will be. The temperature or the intensity of heat decreases as we progress to the center of the flame.
1. Some may be in the hottest part of the flame. The blue flame-We know that blue is symbolic of royalty but it also represents heaven, holy service, and chastening. The hottest part of our trial is the part the requires us to be holy (set aside and set apart for the glory of God).
2. Some may be in medium part of Amber (yellow) which is representative of God’s presence and his judgment
3. Others may be in a red state of testing-red is symbolize of the blood atonement need for our sins- the sacrifice.
3. Step 2 of the refining process is so that the impurities in us can rise. Purity prepares us for
a. God’s presence (psalm 24:4)
b. It prepares us for God’s purpose (titus 2:11-14)
c. It prepares us for God’s promises (Matthew 5.8)
4. Step 3- the forming takes place