Summary: Hope is the lever on the fulcrum of Christ that lifts the weight of the soul
(Ill.) A number of years ago researchers performed an experiment to see the effect hope has on those undergoing hardship. Two sets of laboratory rats were placed in separate tubs of water. The researchers left one set in the water and found that within an hour they had all drowned. The other rats were periodically lifted out of the water and then returned. When that happened, the second set of rats swam for over 24 hours. Why? Not because they were given a rest, but because they suddenly had hope! Those animals somehow hoped that if they could stay afloat just a little longer, someone would reach down and rescue them. If hope holds such power for unthinking rodents, how much greater should its effect be on our lives.
So many hurts, problems, sicknesses, troubles, financial woes, family problems, world issues, political concerns
Disciples lost hope on Friday
Without Hope On Saturday
No wonder the disciples were transformed from despair to excited persuaders
For we are saved by hope
I thought we were saved by faith!
Act 16:31 ..... Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved ........
1 Definition for Hope
To look forward to with confidence or expectation
- Hope is the lever on the fulcrum of Christ that lifts the weight of the soul
- Rob a person of hope, and at once you paralyze the mainspring of action.
- Hope has to do with the unseen future
- Faith appropriates, but hope anticipates
- Faith looks backward and upward, Hope looks onward & outward
- Faith accepts, but hope expects
- Hope is the balm and life-blood of the soul
We need hope.
- But what kind of hope?
- There is a hope that is just that – a hope.
- A hope like, “I hope it doesn’t rain tomorrow.”
- A hope like “I hope I will win the lottery”
- A hope like, “I sure hope I go to heaven when I die.”
- Such hope is wishful thinking.
- It’s an unfounded desire for things to go as we wish.
2 Real Hope Is Anchored
The hope that helps the most is hope grounded in reality and based on a sure thing.
Psalm 33: 18 NIV "But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,"
Psalm 119: 49 NLT "Remember your promise to me, for it is my only hope."
3 Motivation Of Hope
• What Hope Has Done in the Past
- Rom 8:24 - Paul does not say “we hope we are saved”
- We are saved by hope
- He speaks of a salvation already received & enjoyed
- “Saved” - a medical phrase
- Means to make or keep sound
- First condition of recovery is hope in the possibility
- Despair robs us of recovery
- Hope not only brings us to Christ
- Hope speaks of more to come - The future
• What Hope Does In The Present
- We are kept by hope
- Hope keeps us going in hard times
- Hope does not give in or give up
4 Steps to Hope
❶ A Discovery
- You can’t do it alone
Psalm 39: 7 NIV "But now, Lord, what do I look for?
My hope is in you."
❷Assurance of Outcome
- You don’t reach fro a straw when there is a log
Psalm 42: 11 NIV "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."