Summary: Uncovering the myths of homosexuality
+ New Slide
The Top 10 Issues Facing Today’s Church
> 5-Doctrine /Worldview
> April 17, 1952 - 1st Thursday in May (56th), President Truman signed a bill proclaiming the National Day of Prayer into law.
> Thursday May 3,207 the hate crimes bill would allow the law to investigate, prosecute and persecute pastors, business owners and anyone else whose actions are based upon - and reflect - the truths found in the Bible
- America’s students are being encouraged to be promiscuous and try the joys of homosexual sex, even though the deadly AIDS epidemic continues to infect millions. Statistics by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (June 2003) have reported almost 70 percent of male infection of AIDS in America is due to homosexual sex
+ Defining Homosexuality.
> Homosexuality is a persistent preoccupation with erotic encounters involving members of the same sex, which may or may not be acted out with another person.
> Put another way, it is making deliberate plans to entertain and cooperate in sexual fantasies or behaviors with someone of the same sex.
- Why are there two radically different interpretations regarding what the Bible teaches about homosexuality?
- People have made up their minds before they have opened a bible
- Preconceived opinions and emotions tend to color the interpretations
- They make the Bible fit into their beliefs and attitudes about homosexuality
- Truth has to be the primary goal
+ Jun. 20 2006
Katharine Schori New Episcopal Head Says Homosexuality Not a Sin
believes homosexuality is not a sin and that
> Homosexuals were created by God ’’with affections ordered toward other people of the same gender.’’
> “The Bible was written in a very different historical context by people asking different questions.”
- In Other Words...The Bible Doesn’t Apply to Us
+ Using Scripture
David & Jonathan — 2 Sam. 1:26
> 2 Sa 1:26 (KJV) I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.
> 2 Sa 1:26 (NIV) I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women.
David paid tribute to Jonathan’s unselfish, caring quality when he said that Jonathan’s love for him was "more wonderful than that of women."
- David wasn’t implying a sexual relationship.
- He didn’t say that Jonathan’s love was greater than his love for women.
- He said it was greater than the love of women.
- He was simply stating that
- Jonathon’s love was so remarkable that it exceeded the kind of sacrificial love women are known to display towards their families.
- No hint of homosexual relationship
- Both were married and had families
- David was married to his sister Michael
+ Pastor Jeff Miner “Bible Says It’s OK to be Gay”
> Gay preacher
> Jesus Metropolitan Community Church
> Bob Jones educated,
> Harvard Law School
+ Problems Arising Out of Homosexuality
> 1. Alcohol and Drug
> Homosexuals use these to mask their emptiness after the excitement wares off
+ 2. Depression
> Feelings of hopelessness & despair
> 35-30% have history of major depression
> 3% Heterosexual are depressed
+ 3. Suicidal Tendencies
> 40% have suicidal thoughts
+ 4. Destroyed Lives
> Heterosexual sexual behavior found that 85 percent of women and 75.5 percent of men reported no extramarital affairs in their lifetimes
> USA Today in November 1984 reported that homosexuals have an average of 50 different sexual partners each year
Homosexualities: A Study of Diversity Among Men and Women,
by Alan P. & Weinberg, Martin S. Bell
- 74% have 100 partners during their lifetime
- 41% have 500 partner
- 28% have more than 1000
Straight and Narrow by Thomas E. Schmidt
> 75% reported that more than half their partners were “strangers
- 65% reported that they had sex with more than half their partners only once
Male and Female Homosexuality: A Comprehensive Investigation
by M. T. Saghir and E. Robins
> 50% of homosexual men over the age of 30, and 75 percent of homosexual men over the age of 40, experienced no relationship that lasted more than one year
+ Homosexual Myths
> 1. Homosexuality Is Something One Is Born With
- Homosexuality is a learned behavior, acquired
taste and personal choice, involving thoughts, feelings, fantasies.
- Theory that neurons in homosexual brains are
- 1991 study on 41 cadavers
- Only a percentage was true
- If study were to be accurate it would have to be