Summary: If you were told to prove that you loved God then what would you point to in your life? I go to church? I call myself a Christian? I tell God I love Him! Those are facts….you can’t deny a person goes to church or calls themselves some
If you were told to prove that you loved God then what would you point to in your life? I go to church? I call myself a Christian? I tell God I love Him! Those are facts….you can’t deny a person goes to church or calls themselves something or even makes certain statements to God but is that proof they love God?
Would this work with a husband and wife to one another: Prove you love me? I use the same last name as you? I live in the same house? I even have told you that I love you?
How do we find the proof in the pudding (by pudding it there).
What kind of pudding is God looking for? PROOF PUDDING
(3) And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments, (4) The one who says, ‘I have come to know Him”, and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; (5) BUT whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected, by this we know that we are in Him;
John deals with the issue of how a person can really know that they are saved.
By this we know that we have come to know Him…
The Greek word for 'we know' occurs twenty times in this letter. John is saying that knowing you are a Christian is not a matter of doubt but a believer can be certain.
I have occasionally come across the same path with famous people:
Lou Rawls – Red Foxx –Garth Brooks-Ralph Hendricks
Working at Tennis Club near Seminary: Man walked up next to me dripping wet in speedo swim suit. Didn’t pay much attention to him but someone on court spoke to him.
He responded with familiar voice. I turned to look Robin Williams eye to eye. He said ‘Hi, how are you doing?’ I said, ‘You know who you are……actually I was thinking…’Do you know how hairy you are?’ That was back in the early 1980’s
Seen most of his cleaner movies and am very familiar with him.
But if you asked him about me he would say, 'Who?' 'Never heard of him'.
I don't know him in the way that I can experience fellowship with him.(without a stalker or trespass charge)
Many know about God, are familiar with Him, what He has done and what He stands for but they don't 'know' Him and thus can have no real fellowship with Him. One builds into the other.
Jesus said in Matthew 7 that you can do lots of things and never have a relationship with Him: Miracles in My Name, cast out demons…prophesy…..I NEVER KNEW YOU
What are some proofs, clear indicators of a relationship with Christ out of which can develop real fellowship?
#1: The things that we say are proven by the things that we do:
(3) By this we know that we have come to know Him, If we keep His commandments.
(4) The one who says, 'I have come to know Him,' and does not keep His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him;'
1. John likes to compare the things that people say with the things that they actually do.
Jesus said, Why do you call me Lord, Lord and do not do the things that I say?'(Luke 6:46)
2. Look at the phrase, 'By this we know that we have come to know Him if we keep His commandments'.