Summary: Psalm 147:11,“The LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love..”
What makes God delightful?
Have you ever wondered what makes God delightful?
One of the greatest privilege in Christian life and ministry is to Rejoice in the Lord always; The Bible repeatedly commands us to “rejoice in the Lord” (Phil 3:1; 4:4). The most important thing that any one of us can do in present times – and indeed at any time – is to delight ourselves in the Lord. Happiness depends on what happens; but delight is independent of happenings. That’s why it’s called joy “of the Lord.” Ezra told the people during restoration, “The joy of the Lord is your strength!” (Nehemiah 8:10). The heart cry of the Psalmist was, “O Lord, will You not revive us again that Your People may rejoice IN You?” (Psalms 85:6). Yes, revival restores “joy and gladness” to God’s people (Joel 1:16)
First let us notice the following 4 texts that speak of God’s delight in his people.
1. Psalm 149:4 “For the Lord takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with victory.”
2. Zephaniah 3:17, “The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing."
3. Psalm 147:11,“The LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love..”
4. Deuteronomy 30:10 (NLT) “The Lord your God will delight in you if you obey his voice and keep the commands and decrees written in this Book of Instruction, and if you turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and soul. “
God also commands us to delight in him. See the subsequent 4 texts.
1. Psalm 37:4, “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
2. Philippians 4:4, “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.”
3. Psalm 43:4, “Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God.”
4. Psalm 16:11” You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”
It is indeed a glorious thing to know that God Almighty desires a reciprocal relationship with His People. He longs to give us the desires of our heart just as much as He wants to receive our love. It is a give-and-take relationship. Placing our faith in Jesus Christ allows the Lord to fill us with His Spirit who will quickly begin moving things around to accommodate the tremendous abundance that God has for His People. Jesus has provided everything that we need to not only survive in this world but to thrive as well. He is the Way. So why are so many of God’s People living broke, busted and disgusted rather than in the lavish abundance of God which is their inheritance as God’s Children? How is that possible when everything seems to be falling apart, you may ask? The Lord will delight in your repentance, righteousness, obedience and faithfulness when you give all your heart and soul to Him. You will delight in the Lord by knowing and understanding His Plan for your life.