Summary: Naturally, God uses reward (heaven) and punishment (hell) as a mean of motivating us toward faithfulness. What motivates You?
What Motivates You to Faithfulness?
Theme: Working out your salvation.
A. Sometimes sermons, bible studies, or written articles make “being faithful” a simple matter of fact.
1. It is true that without faith(fullness) it is impossible to please God. Heb. 11:6
2. Thus, it is essential that to have eternal fellowship with God one must work out his salvation with
fear and trembling. Phil. 2:12
3. While factual information may motivate, it takes a person being pricked in the heart in some
positive or negative way that moves him to a “faithful” response in service to our God.i
B. In this lesson we shall:
1. Note the fact that God wants us to be faithful and provides means by which we can be toward
2. Be reminded that people today use external means by which to remember God and be faithful to
I. GOD WANTS AND PROVIDES THE MEANS FOR HIS CHILDREN TO BE FAITHFUL
A. Our God is jealous and strongly desires that His people are faithful to Him. Exo. 20:1-5
1. He wants us to seek Him diligently. Heb. 11:6
2. He wants us to be holy: separated from the world. 1 Pet. 1:16
3. Therefore, we strive to be holy and blameless. Col. 1:22-23
B. Christians that love God want to be faithful believers. Psa. 119:11
1. We not only desires the Lord, but will strive to do things that enhances his ability to serve the
2. But, it isn’t always easy to be faithful to God. Cp. Rom. 7:21-23
C. For this reason: motivation to be faithful to God is essential.
1. This motivation comes from God’s will/word.
2. This motivation may also include external means to fulfill God’s will.
II. SCRIPTURES THAT PROMOTE MOTIVATION
1. The reality of going to a place of torment motivates to faithfulness. Lk. 16:19ff; Rev. 21:8
2. Warnings – for regarding this life or eternity – motivate us to faithfulness. Rev. 3:3
3. Understanding the potential for unwanted ramifications: e.g. – committing fornication with the
ramification of pregnancy.
1. The reality of going to a place of eternal bliss. Rev. 21:10ff; 22:1ff
2. Understanding the potential for wanted ramifications – regarding this life or eternity – motivates
us to faithfulness. Cp. Eph. 6:3
III. WAYS THAT HELP MOTIVATE BELIEVERS TO BE FAITHFUL
A. Using things to serve as motivation toward faithfulness:
1. Jewelry: amulet scroll with inscription of Numbers 6:24-25.
2. Garments. Exo. 28; Num. 15:38-39
3. Physical “reminders”: Josh. 4:19-24
B. Things that have motivated brethren in this congregation:
1. Being acknowledged or noticed by others. Eph. 4:29
2. Having or raising our own children. Cp. Deut. 4:9
3. Seeing how my doing the Lord’s will affects my spouse, in turn further motivates. Cp. 1 Pet. 3:1
A. We all would readily agree that being faithful to God is essential.
B. What we should focus on are the ways He has provided for us to be motivated to the point where we
live a life of faithfulness.