Summary: We need to learn from our mothers.
WHAT MY MOTHER TAUGHT ME
S: Mother’s Day
Th: Learning from Mom
Pr: We need to learn from our mothers.
KW: Principles for life
TS: We are going to observe three biblical principles for life
that my mother taught me.
The _____ principle for life that my mother taught me is…
RMBC 5/9/99 AM
1. What did your mother teach you?
ILL Notebook: Mother (What My Mother Taught Me)
Hear what one, anonymous son has written along these lines:
My Mother taught me LOGIC...
"If you fall off that swing and break your neck, you can’t go to the store with me," as well as, "If everyone else jumped off a cliff would you do it too?"
My Mother taught me MEDICINE...
"If you don’t stop crossing your eyes, they’re going to freeze that way."
My Mother taught me TO THINK AHEAD...
"If you don’t pass your spelling test, you’ll never get a good job!"
My Mother taught me TO MEET A CHALLENGE...
"What were you thinking? Answer me when I talk to you... Don’t talk back to me!"
My Mother taught me HUMOR...
"When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don’t come running to me."
My Mother taught me how to BECOME AN ADULT...
"If you don’t eat your vegetables, you’ll never grow up.
My mother taught me about GENETICS...
"You are just like your father!"
My mother taught me about my ROOTS...
"Do you think you were born in a barn?"
My mother taught me about the WISDOM of AGE...
"When you get to be my age, you will understand," or, "I will explain it all when you get older."
My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION...
"Just wait until your father gets home."
My mother taught me about RECEIVING...
You are going to get it when I get you home.
And the all time favorite thing my mother taught me - JUSTICE
"One day you will have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you. Then you’ll see what it’s like! I can’t wait!"
I think this is the secret hope for every mother…that history will
2. There has been some commonality through the years when it comes to motherhood.
ILL Notebook: Mother (Great Sayings of Biblical Mothers)
In fact, we have some quotes of mothers from biblical times to
show you that some things just don’t change.
9. David! I told you not to play in the house with that sling! Go practice your harp. We pay good money for those lessons!
8. Abraham! Stop wandering around - the countryside and get home for supper!
7. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego! Leave those clothes outside, you smell like a dirty ol’ furnace!
6. Cain! Get off your brother! You’re going to kill him some day!
5. Noah! No, you can’t keep them! I told you, don’t bring home any more strays!
2. Judas! Have you been in my purse again?!
I. Jesus! What do you think, you were born in a barn?