Summary: We can learn a lot of spiritual things from sports fans!
HEB.12:1 “WHAT SPORTS FANS CAN TEACH CHRISTIANS”
A) Sports is one of the largest pastimes in the world!
* Billions of dollars are spent on sports events and sports related items.
* Events like the Super Bowl and World Series attract worldwide interest.
* Many Christians would also add that sports is probably the biggest idol in many people’s lives.
* Many Christians also follow athletics.
B) This message is not to condemn all sports as bad.
* In fact, there are some things sports fans can teach Christians ... if we are willing to learn.
* What can sports fans possibly teach the Christian?
* Did you ever study the origins of the word “fan?”
* The word “fan” is a shortened form of “fanatic.” * A fanatic is “one who is unreasonably
enthusiastic or overly zealous, going beyond what is reasonable.”
C) A fan, however, is “one who is enthusiastic about a sport, pastime, or performer.”
* We can see by the definitions that there is a fine line between the two, with the difference
possibly only being in the eye of the beholder.
* The dedication and zeal that a sports fan shows for his team or sport might be considered
fanatical if the object of that enthusiasm was Jesus Christ and the things of God.
* I believe many Christians stop short of full surrender to God because of “what people might
say.” * Let me give you five things tonight that sports fans can teach Christians .......
(1) SPORTS FANS ARE FAITHFUL ... THEY DON’T CONFORM!
A) Sports fans like to identify with their team!
* They have hats, shirts, socks, even underwear with the logos of their favorite teams on them.
* They don’t mind being different ... They enjoy being the only one in a crowd with the logo of
their team on it! * What they are doing is ... They are “representing.”
* It has been said that, Michael Jordan, the greatest basketball player of all time, wore his North
Carolina Tar Heel gym shorts under his uniform while he was winning championships for the
Chicago Bulls. * “Once a Tar Heel always a Tar Heel,” he has said.
B) Some fans have even been buried in a replica jersey of their favorite player.
* So if sports fans are bold by representing their teams, why are Christians so shy about being a
witness for Christ?
* The Braves fans can leave his native Atlanta and wear his colors proudly wherever he might go,
but the Christian gets in a crowd of lost people and loses his voice!
* “ ...ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto
the uttermost part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)
* The witness represents Christ to the lost; he testifies of what Christ has done for him.
* Some Atlanta Brave fans would do the “tomahawk chop” in a crowded mall to show their spirit,
but some Christians have trouble passing out tracts in such an environment!
* Sports fans are faithful ... They don’t conform!
* They’re not shy or ashamed either ... Rom.1:16 “For I am not ashamed of .......”
(2) SPORTS FANS ARE SPENDERS ... THEY DON’T WITHHOLD!
A) Another truth about the sport fan that Christians could excel is their reputation for spending
money in support of their team!
* Every year during the Christmas holidays and New Year’s, thousands of fans follow their
college teams to a “bowl” game. * This game is their reward for a winning season!
* Fans order tickets to the game, plane tickets, and hotel reservations before they leave for their
“reward.” * An individual fan could spend as much as $2000 on his bowl trip!
* NFL Super Bowl tickets, World Series tickets, and college basketball’s Final Four weekend cost
in the hundreds of dollars.
* No sacrifice is too great when your team is involved in these special events!
B) Compare this attitude to that of many Christians!
* “Why does our pastor always preach on money?”
* Maybe it just seems that way to those who do not give!
* Concerning the grace of giving Paul said to the Corinthians, 2 Cor. 8:7
* “ ...see that ye abound in this grace also.”
C) Abounding in giving actually means to “exceed what is expected.”
* When we consider all that Christ Jesus has done for us and the heavenly blessings awaiting us,
we should be eager to worship God in our giving!
* Someone said, “You can give without loving, but you can never love without giving.”
* How much do you love Christ? * Giving is a true test of our love!
* Sports fans are spenders ... They don’t withhold!