Summary: The cross of Jesus reveals two important truths about God: He hates sin but He loves sinners.
WHAT THE CROSS TELL US ABOUT GOD
A. “My God! My God! Why have you forsaken me?” Jesus cried while hanging on the CROSS.
1. As we discussed last Sunday, undoubtedly these words pierced the HEART of the Father.
He knew He would hear them. He inspired David to write them in the Twenty-second Psalm some 400 years before the crucifixion. But to hear those agonizing words from the parched lips of His only begotten Son as He hanged DYING upon the CROSS for something He didn’t do and knowing that He had the POWER to stop it at anytime, must have been the most DIFFICULT event the Father ever WITNESSED!
2. As parents we never want to see our children HURT.
When your young son comes home from school with a BLOODY NOSE and BLACK EYE and says that he’s going to be BEAT UP again tomorrow if he doesn’t give the BULLY $5.00, you will do everything possible to PROTECT him.
If you are informed by the hospital that your daughter was seriously INJURED in a car wreck, you will stop whatever you are doing and immediately go to her SIDE.
When our children HURT, we HURT. No LOVING parent will sit idly by and watch their CHILDREN get HURT without trying to STOP it. Yet, if my understanding is correct, when Jesus cried out: “My God! My God! Why have you forsaken me?” the Father is turning His BACK on His DYING Son. He can STOP it, but doesn’t!
Roman’s INVENTION. (Listen carefully as I read and imagine what Jesus went through on the cross.)
1. This prophecy describes Jesus crying out for His Father to SAVE Him, and He doesn’t!
a. God had SAVED others who CRIED out unto Him, but not His own Son.
b. The people MOCK because God refuses to RESCUE Him.
2. Why would a LOVING FATHER do such a thing?
The CROSS of Jesus reveals two ATTITUDES about God that we need to UNDERSTAND before we can fully appreciate what Jesus did for us at Galgotha.
I. THE CROSS REVEALS THAT GOD HATES SIN
A. Jesus died a HUMILIATING and PAINFUL DEATH on the CROSS for one reason—yours and my SIN put Him there.
1. Jesus was SINLESS until He HUNG upon the CROSS, and our SIN became His SIN.
Our DISOBEDIENCE, our LIES, our IMMORALITY, our HATRED, our GOSSIP, our ENVY—every SIN we COMMITTED in the PAST and will COMMIT in the FUTURE nailed Jesus to the CROSS.
2. Jesus CRIED out from the DARKNESS, “My God. My God. Why have you forsaken me?” because of YOU and ME and a WORLD of people just like us.
God has nothing to do with DARKNESS—SIN, EVIL, WICKEDNESS. He cannot FELLOWSHIP it. He cannot be PART of it. Where there is DARKNESS God will not be there.
3. If God is to have anything to do with us, He must EXPOSE of DARKNESS.