Summary: 1. The people of God need an awareness of their surroundings - v.2-3 2. The people of God need a heart like Neh. - v.4 3. The people of God need to pray like Neh. - v. 5-11
What The People Of God Need Today
1. The people of God need an awareness of their surroundings - v.2-3
2 That Hanani, one of my brethren, came, he and certain men of Judah; and I asked them concerning the Jews that had escaped, which were left of the captivity, and concerning Jerusalem.
3 And they said unto me, The remnant that are left of the captivity there in the province are in great affliction and reproach: the wall of Jerusalem also is broken down, and the gates thereof are burned with fire.
2. The people of God need a heart like
Neh. - v. 4
4 And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,
- More than a Wish or Desire
Ted Engstrom --- writes about those who refused to listen to their fears
Held back NEVER
• Cripple him and you have a Sir Walter Scott
• Lock hin in a prison cell and you have a John Bunyan
• Bury him in the snows of Valley Forge, and you have a George Washington
• Raise him in poverty and you have an Abraham Lincoln
• Strike him down with infantiled paraysis and he hecomes Franklin Roosevelt
• Burn him so severely that doctors say he’ll never walk again and you have a Glen Cummingham -- who set the world’s one-mile record in 1934
• Deafen him and you have Ludwig van Beethoven.
• Call him a slow learner, "retarded" and write him off as uneducable, and you have an Albert Einstein
3. The people of God need to pray like
Neh. - v. 5-11
Gives a prescription that will bring a revival to any church
1. Let a few Christians (they need not be many) get thoroughly right with God. This is most important
2. Let them bind themselves together in prayer until God’s blessing comes
3. Let them put themselves at the disposal of God for Him to use as He sees fit.
This is sure to bring a revival to any church. I have given this prescription around the world, and all that have used it have never failed.
a. Exalting God -v.5
5 And said, I beseech thee, O LORD God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments:
b. Confession to God v.6-7
6 Let thine ear now be attentive, and thine eyes open, that thou mayest hear the prayer of thy servant, which I pray before thee now, day and night, for the children of Israel thy servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against thee: both I and my father’s house have sinned.
7 We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses.
c. Confidence in God v.8-9
8 Remember, I beseech thee, the word that thou commandedst thy servant Moses, saying, If ye transgress, I will scatter you abroad among the nations:
9 But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there.
d. Blessing from God v.10-11
10 Now these are thy servants and thy people, whom thou hast redeemed by thy great power, and by thy strong hand.
11 O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king’s cupbearer.
THE WELSH REVIVAL
It began at a Youth Meeting in a tiny Welsh town. A timid young girl arose. She was so nervous that she could only utter one sentence:
“O I do love Jesus”.
Than she sat down The Lord used that earnest testsionny to fulfill His own purpose Sp. fire came down on that young peoples meeting which spread to the church than the small village & on lto the country.
Its influence was felt around the world