Summary: What should we do until the Lord comes back? 1. Rush toward righteousness (vs. 14). 2. Consider the longsuffering of the Lord (vs. 15). 3. Watch out where you walk (vs. 15-17). 4. Keep growing in the grace of Jesus Christ (vs. 18).
What to Do Until the Lord Comes Back - Part 3
Sermon by Rick Crandall
Grayson Baptist Church - May 5, 2013
BACKGROUND AND INTRODUCTION:
*Do you believe that Jesus Christ is coming again? If we believe what the Bible says about Jesus, then we know that the Lord is coming back. What should we do until then?
 Last week we talked about helping people avoid the horrible judgment coming on the world.
*In vs. 10 Peter said:
10. The day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.
*Then in vs. 12 Peter said we should be:
12. looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?
*Judgment Day is coming, but God wants people to escape. As we saw in vs. 9:
9. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
*Until the Lord comes back, God wants us to do everything we can to help people repent and come to Jesus for salvation.
 Then in vs. 10&11, we saw that God wants all believers to commit to live in holiness.
*Peter put it as a question in vs. 11: "Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness?" God wants all of us to live godly, holy, Christ-like lives. He wants us to live by His holy standards.
 We closed last week by seeing that God wants us to keep looking forward with God's sure hope.
*Three times in vs. 11-14, Peter told us to be "looking forward." And Christians, we can look forward with sure hope, because of our relationship with Jesus Christ.
*Tonight we will see 4 more things to do while we wait for Jesus to return. Let's begin by reading vs. 14-18:
14. Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless;
15. and account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,
16. as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which those who are untaught and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.
17. You therefore, beloved, since you know these things beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked;
18. but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.
*What should we do until the Lord comes back?
1. First: Rush toward righteousness.
*This is the message for us in vs. 14, where Peter said: "Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, BE DILIGENT to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless."