Summary: Suffering is a part of the Christian’s life.
1. Who really likes all the trials & testings?
a. I don’t know too many people that would jump and say, “I do Pastor Ed. I love them. Give me more!”
b. After all, they are often irritating times of sorrow & sadness, & difficult times of problems & pain.
c. But whether we like them or not, trials and testings will come to us in this world. You can count on it!
NOTE: WAIT A MINUTE. DID YOU SAY THAT I COULD COUNT ON IT?
• Nobody told me that when I gave my life to Jesus Christ.
• But suffering is a part of life… it is a part of the Christian’s life.
• Let’s look at a few passages to lay a foundation.
The Golden Gate Bridge is an engineering marvel. Built right on the San Andreas Earthquate faultline, it’s engineered to sway some 20 feet at it’s center. With deep land anchor piers and a flexible cable system… it a wonderful picture piece of human ingenuity.
Engineers had to take into account 3 different kinds of LOADS or stresses when designing that bridge… the dead load, live load, and wind load.
The dead load is the weight of the bridge itself. The live load is the weight of the daily traffic that the bridge must carry. The wind load is the pressure of the storms that beat on the bridge. The designer plans for bracings that will enable the bridge to bear all these loads.
In our lives, too, we need bracings which make it possible to carry the dead load of self, the live load of daily living, and the wind load of emergencies. When we place our trust in Jesus Christ, He gives us the strength we need to withstand these various stresses. He thus gives our lives usefulness, stability, and durability.
NOW… anytime we talk about trials & testings, it’s easy for those of you in the midst of one to simply dismiss such a Bible Study.
• Oh NO, you don’t know what it’s like. You don’t understand.
• But that would be a mistake friends. Because our time together isn’t about ME & YOU, it’s about YOU & GOD.
• He understands. He knows. He sees. And He loves.
Remember in the first few verses we learned of some of the blessed benefits of being a believer…
• PEACE WITH GOD – The war is over. HE is our friend!
• ACCESS TO GOD BY GRACE – We can rush into Him anytime!
• HOPE IN THE GLORY OF GOD – Jesus Christ is coming again!
• STAND IN GRACE – A new foundation for our lives!
• Today: TRIALS – A means to bring about maturity & trust!
THE TRUTH IS, GOD USES TRIALS in our lives to bring about great maturity, strength, and trust. Paul tells us Trials Produce!
“It’s been said that ‘smooth seas do not make skillful sailors’” – It’s true.