Summary: But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will neve
What We Can Learn From Children - (Luke 18:16,17)
"But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." (Luke 18:16,17)
The scripture refers to children 435 times so that we can learn some insights that perhaps adults have overlooked or forgotten or under emphasized. Here are a few:
Learn how to be child like in your faith without being childish
1. HUMILITY - Children understand that they are dependent upon adults to help them so they are not too proud to receive instruction. Let us humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God so that He can exalt us at the proper time. Do not be so proud as to think you can not mature more in various aspects of the Christian life.
2. TRUSTING - Children are apt to trust those who in authority over them. It does not take a lot to convince children of their need to rely on those who have greater power, wisdom and resources. Learn to approach the Lord with a greater child like trust that He will supply all your needs (emotional, social, physical, financial, vocational, spiritual, activities, etc) according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19)
3. SIMPLICITY - Children do not require complicated explanations before they are willing to believe. Let us not put on such an air of pseudo-sophistication that we are unwilling to learn something from the Lord about growing up in all aspects into Christ as we speak the truth in love. Thankfully children just want to know the essentials. They are not so sophisticated as to require lengthy explanations before they are willing to believe and receive truth, love and hope in Jesus.
4. PROBLEM-SOLUTION ORIENTED - Children are ready to admit that they have problems and are not ashamed to admit that they need solutions. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (JOhn 14:6) Let us appropriate the fact that Jesus provides us with the best pathways, truth knowledge and the eternal life giving Spirit. Let us stop looking around through all kinds of philosophies, literature and platitudes and realize that all of the solutions to life’s problems are found in Christ. In a relationship with Christ are found all the necessary wisdom, knowledge and treasures we need for life and godliness. (2 Pet 1:3,4)
5. RESPONSIVE - 85% of the people who come to Christ are people under the age of 18. Let us realize that the greatest mission field in the world is children. Let us ask the Lord of the harvest to send forth laborers into this great harvest field. Let us do more to support organizations like Child Evangelism Fellowship. Let us do more to supply the children’s department with the best workers, the best curriculum and the best resources. Let us sow our seeds where they will yield 30,60, and 100 fold results.
6. NOT LESS IMPORTANT - Some people think that children are less important than adults, not so. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me for of such is the kingdom of heaven." The kingdom of heaven is comprised of people who are poor in spirit and dependent as they recognize how much they need Jesus for all things. Let us realize that we too often overlook children or simple people because we have not develop enough of the mind of Christ and His perspectives.