Summary: Twelve points can be detected as to what Heaven be like by taking careful observations of this text. Good funeral message.
"What we know about Heaven?"
Introduction: I have often referred to this text when referring to Heaven, but here is a careful study on the text. It is a very revealing insight into what Heaven will be like. There are twelve points:
1. Heaven is a real place.
Moses and Elias had come from being somewhereâ¦ Heaven is a place.
2. Heaven is a place where our bodies will be altered.
It mentioned that the raiment of Christ had altered. Our physical bodies are mere garments. When we get to Heaven, God will give us new bodies incorruptible! (1 Corinthians 15:53)
3. Heaven is a real place where we will be robed in the righteousness of Christ.
Note that the body of Christ was transfigured before them. He began to glisten from within. In Heaven we will be robed in the wedding garment of the righteousness of Christ.
4. Heaven is a place of the departed saints.
Moses and Elias represent the departed saints of the Old Testament. Heaven is the place of the departed saints. For the person who has placed his faith in Christ we have this promise, "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord." (2 Corinthians 5:8)
5. Heaven is a place where we will know one another.
The disciples knew who Moses and Elias were. When we get to Heaven, we will know one another. (1 Corinthians 13:12)
6. Heaven is a place where we will be talking to one another.
Notice that Moses and Elias when having a conversation with Jesus. Heaven will be a glad reunion day for the departed saints as they have conversations with those who have gone on before them.
7. Heaven is a place where we will be in the presence of the Lord.
Moses and Elias were having a conversation with Jesus. We will see Jesus when we get to Heaven. We will be able to converse with him!
8. Heaven is a place where it matters what we did with our lives while on earth.
It wasn’t just anymore who was talking to Jesus on this occasion, it was Moses and Elias. They had often communed with Christ in their earthly lives, now they were in communion with him in Heaven. If you make much of Jesus here, Jesus will make much of you there! (Luke 18:22)
9. Heaven is a place where the glory of the Lord prevails.
Twice in the text it mentions the word "glory." I do not know all there is to know about Heaven, but I can assure you that it will be glorious!
10. Heaven is a place where we will have an awareness of earthly events.
Moses and Elias were talking about the things that should shortly come to pass concerning the death of Christ on the Cross. People in Heaven seem to be very up to date with timely events on this earth.
11. Heaven is a place where our prayers will make a difference.
Jesus seems to be receiving encouragement from Moses and Elias according to the text. The prayers of the saints will make a difference in Heaven. (Revelations 8:4)
12. Heaven is a place where Christ alone is the Lord of Glory.
Peter suggested that a tabernacle be built for both Moses and Elias and one also for Christ. God, the Heavenly Father, vetoed that plan. Moses and Elias faded from view as the Father stated, "This is my only begotten son, hear ye him." In Heaven it will be Christ alone as our perfect center of worship!