Summary: We have the gifts, why don't we celebrate!
• SLIDE #1
• What would a celebration be without gifts?
• God wants us to celebrate our salvation.
• Each and every day, we have reason to celebrate when we belong to Jesus!
• Today is a day in which we can celebrate! We have learned that when we come to the W-E-L-L God has offered to us, we can receive refreshment that will satisfy us forever!
• SLIDE #2
• Now that we have learned about the gifts of God’s work, energy, lordship, and love, we must actively receive them.
• These gifts are reason for us to celebrate; however, there is something we need to remember.
• What is the use of coming to a fountain and not drinking? Why accept a gift and never open it? What is the use of starting something and never finishing it?
• God describes Himself as a “fountain of living water” in Jeremiah 2:13.
• SLIDE #3
• Listen to the invitation of the still-running fountain.
• John 7:37 (ESV) On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink.
• Today we are going to re-examine four wonderful gifts that God gives to us when we come to Him for refreshment.
• I hope that you have been coming to the well of God’s refreshment!
• SLIDE #4
The first gift worth celebrating is that:
I. God has given you his work.
• This is a wonderful gift for us to celebrate because it does so much for us. How many of us have tried to work ourselves to the bone trying to forgive ourselves, trying to live a life that is pleasing to God.
• How many of us have tried to save ourselves. We have tried pleasing God with our own efforts to save ourselves.
• How many of us have felt the futility of trying to save ourselves?
• I found that when we rely on our own work, we fall dreadfully short. WE know something is missing but we just do not know what it is.
• You can celebrate the fact that God has given you His work for the following reason.
• SLIDE #5
A. His grace frees us from guilt, worry and fear.
• God’s work is centered on His grace. This grace is why He can accept sinful man; this grace removes the guilt we have for our past sins. This grace removes the worry that we have concerning our future with God.
• This grace removes the fear of the future we once held.
• SLIDE #6
• Ephesians 2:8 (ESV) For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
• The great thing about grace is that you do not have to nor can you earn it.
• Grace is unmerited favor.
• God’s work frees you from the guilt and stain of sin.
• SLIDE #7
• Romans 6:23 (ESV) For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
• God’s grace gives us eternal life!
• WE no longer stand condemned before God, because of His grace we do not have to worry about the future!
• SLIDE #8
• Romans 8:1 (ESV) 8 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
• What “work” does God offer to us?
• SLIDE #9
B. Christ’s work on the cross and His resurrection are why we are free!
• The reason we are free from guilt, worry, and fear is because of the work Jesus did on the cross on our behalf.
• The wages of sin is death; Jesus paid your price on the cross! You did the crime and He did the time.
• SLIDE #10
• Romans 5:6 (ESV) For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
• It did not end with His death, the resurrection followed! A dead savior is no savior; Jesus was raised on the third day!
• SLIDE #11
C. Jesus has done the work for you!
• You can celebrate because the work has been done for you by Jesus!
• You can quit the futility of trying to figure our some way to save yourself.
• You can enjoy salvation and forgiveness because of what Jesus has done for you.
• God wants you to come to the well and enjoy His work!
• SLIDE #12
The second gift worth celebrating is that:
II. God has given you his energy.
• It is wonderful to receive God’s work through Jesus on the cross, but then we have this life to live and this life is very challenging.