Summary: What would Jesus say to the popular television personality Regis Philbin?
WHAT WOULD JESUS SAY TO REGIS?
- Have you ever wondered what it would be like for Jesus to live in America in the 21st century?
- What would He wear? Would He be a golf shirt kind of a guy or a t-shirt kind of a guy?
- Would He wear Nike or Reeboks?
- Would His hair be short or would He let it grow out a bit?
- Would He eat Mexican and Seafood or would He be a meat and potatoes man?
- Would He drive a Toyota Camry or a Toyota pickup truck?
- Would He like the Reds or the Bengals?
- Would He prefer Dolby Digital or THX?
- Would He listen to B-105 or 97 Rock?
- Would He read the Post or the Enquirer?
- If Jesus were alive today what would He do, where would He go and what would He say?
- Over the next 4 Sundays, we are going to look at what Jesus might say if He lived in our culture and in our time and if He came into contact with our contemporaries.
- One of the most popular figures in our world today is a man named Regis Philbin?
- There aren’t too many people in our world who can be known by just one name, but Regis is one of them.
- This 67 year old man has been around the television industry since 1957 when he was a news anchor for a station in San Diego.
- But it wasn’t until he teamed up with Kathie Lee Gifford in 1985 that his popularity sky-rocketed.
- Within 2 years the show went into syndication. Two years after that it was the fastest growing national talk-show in the country. Soon more than 18 million people were tuning in daily to watch LIVE with Regis and Kathie Lee.
- Then ABC approached Regis with an opportunity to solo host a quiz show called “Who Wants to be a Millionaire.”
- It instantly became a blockbuster hit.
- Regis has won 10 Emmy awards.
- He was written two best-selling books.
- He has launched a new line of shirts and ties.
- He is perhaps one of the most popular and well-liked television personalities of our time.
- So if Jesus came face to face with Regis, what would He say?
- If Jesus sat in that “hot seat” directly across from Regis with the lights and the music and they engaged in small talk, what would Jesus say?
- I don’t think Jesus would talk about the University of Notre Dame or the New York Yankees or lifelines or even Kelly’s baby, but I do think that Jesus would ask this question
- “REEGE, DO YOU TRUST GOD?”
- Now maybe that is deeper than what Regis would like to answer.
- Most of his interviews don’t go much below the surface
- But if Jesus were here, I imagine that’s what He would say to Regis Philbin.
- “IS YOUR TRUST IN GOD?”
- Not in money, not in fame, not in people, not even in yourself, but in God
- I would like to know what his answer would be to that question.
- In fact, I would like to know what your answer would be
- You see, we are living in a society that doesn’t seem to trust anybody anymore
- People are cynical and doubtful and skeptical of just about everything.
o Customers don’t trust businesses
o Employees don’t trust managers
o Citizens don’t trust governments
o Wives don’t trust husbands