Summary: A question form a church member for our Wednesday night Question and message time. Food for thought What would you do if Jesus came knocking on your door. This deals with our fellowship with God.
Introduction: The question before us is what would you do if Jesus came to your house?
I found a poem written by someone named Gregory,
If he came unexpectedly, I wonder what you’d do.
Oh, I know you’d give your nicest room to such an honored Guest,
And all the food you’d serve to Him would be the very best,
And you keep assuring Him you’re glad to have Him there
That serving Him in your own home is joy beyond compare.
But when you saw Him coming, would you meet Him at the door
With arms outstretched in welcome to your heavenly Visitor?
Or would you have to change your clothes before you let Him in?
Or hide some magazines and put the Bible where they’d been?
Would you turn off the radio and hope He hadn’t heard?
And wish you hadn’t uttered that last, loud, hasty word?
Would you hide your worldly music and put some hymn books out?
Could you let Jesus walk right in, or would you rush about?
And I wonder if the Savior spent a day or two with you,
Would you go right on doing the things you always do?
Would you go right on saying the things you always say?
Would life for you continue as it does from day to day?
Would your family conversation keep up its usual pace?
And would you find it hard each meal to say a table grace?
Would you sing the songs you always sing, and read the books you read,
And let him know the things on which your mind and spirit feed?
Would you take Jesus with you everywhere you’d planned to go?
Or would you, maybe, change your plans for just a day or so?
Would you be glad to have Him meet your very closest friends?
Or would you hope they’d stay away until His visit ends?
Would you be glad to have Him stay forever on and on?
Or would you sigh with great relief when He at last was gone?
It might be interesting to know the things that you would do?
If Jesus Christ in person came to spend some time with you.
Core: While we see in this poem Jesus coming to visit let’s look at it from another perspective. Another question I think we might ask, where is Jesus right now? Remember what Paul said to us in 1 Corinthians 6: 19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
I. Do you see this the Holy Spirit is dwelling in you doesn’t that mean He resides in you
A. Look too at Colossians 1: 27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
1. Do you see that Christ in you
2. I believe Christ is residing with us
3. He visits us daily, doesn’t He?
4. Remember too what we see in Revelation 3: 20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
B. You see Jesus knocks at the door of believers everyday
1. Jesus will not crash in the door
2. In fact the handle is only on one side the side we must reach for and open it with.
3. Every day we make a decision to leave that door shut.
4. We are saved, we will go to heaven
5. We just aren’t fellowshipping with Him, we are not under control, not lead by the Holy Spirit
6. Or to open the door of our heart to fellowship with Him.
7. Ephesians 5:18 applies, we are either controlled by the Old sin nature
8. Or we are controlled by or filled with the Holy Spirit.
9. You see what Jesus said here in verse 20 of Revelation 3, “I will come in to him”
10. Then a little further “will sup with him, and he with me”
11. You see this is a fellowship verse not a salvation verse.
12. He will feed us His word daily and we will get to know Him better.
C. You see it is not a question of “If” Jesus comes knocking on your door
1. It is when He comes knocking on your door.
2. It is What do you do when Jesus comes knocking on your door
3. He knocks everyday wanting come in to you