Summary: 1. Buried Treasure 2. Where Can I Meet Christ? 3. Treasure Untold 4. Believing Determines Life 5. Treasure Discovered 6. What We Believe Must Determine Life
Buried Treasure found
> VIDEO - Published on Feb 26, 2014 CBS morning news
- A Northern California couple found $10 million worth of rare coins dating back to the 1800's while hiking on their property.
- Think how this changed their lives
1. Buried Treasure
- Jesus said the Kingdom of heaven is like finding buried treasure
> Matthew 13:44 (AV) —
44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
Why did he say that?
> Matthew 13:10–11 (AV) —
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
- The heart of Jesus' teachings centers around the theme of the kingdom of God/heaven
- Found over 85x
- Kingdom of heaven is exclusive to Matthew
- Matthew showing Jesus as King with power & authority
- Book of Matthew (Kingdom of Heaven) == 33x
- Mt, 13 (Kingdom of Heaven) == 8x (Kingdom 4x)
- Invites us to be part of his Kingdom
2. Where Can I Meet Christ?
- To be intimately acquainted with Christ?
- In His Word!!!
> Matthew 13:9 (AV) —
9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
> Matthew 13:16 (AV) —
16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
> John 5:39 (AV) —
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
> 2 Peter 1:4 (AV) —
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
3. Treasure Untold
- We can have a living relationship with Christ
- 1 Jn. Theme is all about that relationship
- Key verse
> 1 John 5:12–13 (AV) —
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
- Key Word -- Love 42x, Truth 21x
• Jesus must be encountered
• Jesus must be experienced
> 1 John 1:1 (AV) —
1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
Note John's facts
• Jesus was from the beginning (before time)
• We have heard Him speak
• We are eye witnesses
• We have (looked upon) considered Him
• We touched him (not a figment of our imagination)
4. Believing Determines Life
What we believe must determine life
Queen of Sheba came to Solomon to see for herself
> 1 Kings 10:1, 6-7 (AV) —
1 And when the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the LORD, she came to prove him with hard questions.
> — 6 And she said to the king, It was a true report that I heard in mine own land of thy acts and of thy wisdom. 7 Howbeit I believed not the words, until I came, and mine eyes had seen it: and, behold, the half was not told me: thy wisdom and prosperity exceedeth the fame which I heard.