Summary: How God uses ’conviction’ in the live of a believer
“What You Thought You Knew”
· Many people struggle doing the will of God, because they think they know it when they don’t!
o The 9-11 terrorist thought they were doing the will of God in flying planes into the World Trade Center
o Saul thought he was doing the will of God in persecuting the followers of Christ
o You and I have thought we were doing the will of God, only to find out later that what we were doing was NOT His will, at all.
· Three men were about to be executed. One man was from California, the other from Oklahoma, and the last one was from Texas. The guard brings the man from California, home of the earthquake, forward. The executioner asks if he has any last minute request. He replies ‘No’ so the executioner sets him up and then turns and shouts to the firing squad: “Ready! Aim…” Suddenly this man yells out: “Earthquake!” Everyone is startled and starts looking around, and in the confusion he runs away and escapes.
The guard brings the next victim along. This man was from Oklahoma, which as you know is tornado alley. The executioner asks if he has any last minute request. He answers in the negative, so the executioner gets him ready then barks his order to the firing squad: “Ready! Aim...” Suddenly this second man yells loudly as he can: “Tornado!” Everyone is distracted and starts to look up at the sky, and he runs away quickly makes his getaway.
By now the third man, from Texas has it all worked out…. “California = Earthquakes … Oklahoma = Tornados….” About that time, the guard escorts him forward and executioner asks if he has any last minute request. He replies ‘No’ and the executioner turns sharply to the firing squad and shouts: “Ready! Aim...” And then the man from Texas shouts, “Fire!”
o You know, folks from Texas ain’t too bright!
o Sometimes, the things that we say or do to get out of trouble, actually get us INTO trouble!
I. You thought you knew where you were going, (9-12) 13-14 (Conviction that can be seen)
A. Till God showed you something you’ve never seen, 13
B. Till God stopped you dead in your tracks, 14a
C. Till God asked you a question, you couldn’t answer, 14b
II. You thought you knew Who was in charge, 15-16 (Conviction that can be heard)
A. Till you talked with God , not just to God, 15
B. Till you listened to God, not just hear God, 16
III. You thought you knew what you were doing, 17-18 (Conviction that can be felt)
A. Till you found out that God was working for you, 17
B. Till you found out that God was working for them, 18
· You thought you knew where you were going …. Till God stopped you dead in your tracks!
· You thought you knew who was in charge…Till you started listening to God!
· You thought you knew what you were doing…Till God showed you that you were working against Him!
· But now…
o He’s given you … a new title…. Minister!, 16a
o He’s given you … a new responsibility… Be a witness!, 16b
o He’s given you … a new purpose… Help Others, vs. 17-18
· But, if you still think you know the will of God, but God is …