Summary: Have you ever wanted something so badly that it moved you emotionally - stirred you DESPERATELY?
QUESTION: Have you ever been DESPERATE FOR SOMETHING?
• Ever really wanted something so bad that it moved you emotionally, stirred you DESPERATELY?
1. It happens to me more times than I really want.
a. I’m in a hurry. I have appointment to keep, a person to meet, a place to go.
b. So I gather up my stuff, head out to the car and…
c. MY KEYS? Where are my keys? Pocket? NO. Floor? NO.
d. So I rush back in the house, with the clock ticking!
e. FRUSTRATION. Why didn’t I just put them in a place that I can remember to get them? Where are they?
f. I’m going to be late. I can’t believe this. Again!
g. But FRUSTRATION is soon joined by DESPERATION.
h. Where are those keys! I need to go! Marie?!
i. DESPERATION… Webster’s says:
“Involving or employing extreme measures in an attempt to escape defeat or frustration.”
NOTE: When I look at my life, I find there are seasons & times where I must become DESPERATE again for the things of God!
• Spiritual things have become routine.
• My life with Jesus has become too predictable!
• I so wholeheartedly agree with the Psalmist:
Psalm 51.10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
• In desperation there’s focus… Jesus gave us that. (Matt 6:33)
NOTE: Because if we don’t cry out, if we don’t long for the presence and the power of God… staleness & dryness & drought await us.
• It’s like losing our keys… they are laying around waiting.
• And we don’t know we don’t know until we need them!
CH10 opens with a DESPERATE DANIEL, mourning & upset.
• But notice, he’s not RETREATING, He’s REACHING OUT.
I. (10:1-3) DANIEL’S DESPARATION.
1. (1-3) Captivity is about over.
a. Notice that CYRUS was the King of Persia.
b. That makes Daniel around 85-90 years old.
c. It’s been some 72 years since the captivity and he’s still in Babylon while others have already begun to return.
NOTE: As CH10 opens, Daniel is obviously distressed.
V2 – Emotionally Mourning: 3 full weeks.
V3 – Physically Hungry: part fast no pleasant food, no meat, wine.
V3 – Outwardly Stinks: no anointing oil.
APP: There’s seriousness in his distress. He wants to hear from God!
• So he sets about to buffet parts of his body in preparation.
• Let’s turn to 1 Corinthians 9.24-27
• There are times when our outward man just isn’t as important as our inward man.
• Where we must take steps to remind our flesh that our Spirit is what truly matters!
SO WHAT IS FASTING?
• Fasting is the purposeful neglect of some fleshly appetite in order to be strengthened and sharpened by the Lord!
NOTE: FASTING WILL Help DO THAT! It will help you get serious.
• FASTING: The forgoing of a meal, or a day’s worth of meals, or a week’s worth of food to seek the face of God.
• Fasting is often the answer to God’s call to us…
Psalm 27.7-8 Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice! Have mercy also upon me, and answer me. 8 When You said, "Seek My face," My heart said to You, "Your face, LORD, I will seek."
NOW: Fasting is a wonderful spiritual discipline if we do it with the right motives.
• It’s not a fancy Christian DIET PLAN it’s a wonderful Christian DISCIPLINE PLAN!
• When we fast… and at the same time devote ourselves to God in prayer & worship: -- At least 3 things are accomplished.
#1 – We LEARN that there is great power by His Spirit. Power to deny yourself. Power to worship deeply & overcome temptation.
#2 – Our PRIORITIES shift back to the things of the Spirit.
#3 – We Gain GREAT VICTORY over habits!
Romans 6.16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?
NOTE: FASTING, Combined with Prayer, is powerful!
• There is a real strength in fasting… seeking God’s wisdom.
• Taking time to discipline my body and direct myself spiritually.
• That’s where Daniel is… earnestly seeking the Lord. Desperate
APP: The church needs to become desperate again!
• We live in a day and age where we’re watching our nation go rapidly, headlong down a path toward destruction!
• Marriage being re-defined. Right being called wrong.
• Wrong being called right. God eliminated from our government, from our classrooms, from our society!
• Oh that these things would brother us! Stir us to action.
• Do you get upset that over 50 churches a week close in this country?