Summary: When we go through the tough times in life there are many things we can get out of it.
“What’s in a TRIAL”
I. T-Test (vs2-3)
A. Tests take effort to complete and pass
1. We live in a NOW society
2. Many people live as if things are owed to them and no work is necessary to achieve what they want
3. In turn this is a failure in the spiritual life as well.
4. Proverbs 12:14 (ESV)
14 From the fruit of his mouth a man is satisfied with good, and the work of a man’s hand comes back to him.
a. What is true here physically is also true in the Christians spiritual life.
b. This stands to reason that whatever the effort you forge you will be repaid by that effort.
5. Proverbs 24:10-12 (ESV)
10 If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small.
11 Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter.
12 If you say, “Behold, we did not know this,” does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it, and will he not repay man according to his work?
a. Day of adversity and testing are synonymous
b. This tells that we should be about staying strong and continuing through
c. By your works you shall be repaid
d. If there is no effort spiritually there will be no fruit spiritually
B. Tests produce a support or foundation
1. The product of our testing is a firm foundation
2. Though I am not Arnold S. I think it’s cool to see those guys, in a manly kind of way, who have overly huge muscles.
3. Those body builders though they don’t build the upper body and leave the lower to nothing.
4. You have to build on the foundation of faith that has been laid in your life through Christ
II. R-Reciprocation (vs2-3)
A. What’s in trial? Give and take.
1. This is the way that God works.
2. He demands obedience, no matter what you are going through He wants us to be obedient.
3. When we are faithful He blesses. From the time of Jacob to today when we display our faithfulness to Him, He gives blessing to us.
B. If we wait for God to bless us then we are backing up
1. If a reciprocating saw only went one way it would never accomplish anything.
2. But sense it goes out and comes back it accomplishes a lot.
3. If we continually wait for God to bless then we as Christians are getting no where.
4. When effort is taken in our life, God will bless.
III. I-Incomplete (vs4)
A. They say in a marriage conflict happens because there is something that need fine tuning in our marriage.
1. When we are put through the trials in life it is not because God woke up angry and on the wrong side of the bed.
2. These trials in your life are placed so that you may grow.
3. God does not desire us to be incomplete but fruitful and perfect
4. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (ESV)
5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,
6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,
7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.
8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
IV. A-Abundance (vs5)
1. This is skill in life that is usually generated through experience which falls under the category of trial.
2. But also look at how it is given.
3. Generously- “Without Reserve”
4. God’s desire is to bless abundantly.
V. L-Laziness (vs6-8)
A. This will be illuminated during the trials.
1. John MacArthur says, “Denotes having one’s mind or soul divided between God and the world. This man is hypocrite who occasionally believes in God but fails to trust Him when trials come and thus receives nothing.”