"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-" Eph 2:8
1. The message of the Gospel can be summarized in the word Grace
2. Gospel means good news. What is the good news? That there is grace in God, because he is the God of grace.
3. One of the most beloved and best- known hymn says "amazing Grace"
4. Today I want to share with you what is the meaning of Grace, and what is so amazing about it.
I. What is the meaning of Grace
1. The word "grace" has both Latin and Greek origin. It means favor or kindness shown without regard to the worth or merit of the one who receives it and in spite of what that same person deserves. Other words from the same root are grateful, gracious, gratis, grant, etc.
2. When we use Grace in reference to God, this word defines both the heart and the hand of God. It expresses God’s attitude towards man and God’s actions to favor man.
3. God’s grace is God’s goodwill towards man in spite of men’s actions or behavior. It is favor shown without merit and without conditions
II. What’s amazing about God’s grace
1. The Bible states that God is Grace. When Moses has the opportunity to meet God this is how God defines himself: "And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, Exod 34:6
2. Grace in God is God having compassion on men. The Bible links Grace with compassion. The word translated here as grace in Hebrew is "chanan"(khaw-nan’); properly, to bend or stoop in kindness to an inferior; to show or bestow favor. Compassion for our condition, compassion for our destiny.
3. Grace in God is God planing something to help man. God revealing himself who he is and what we should be.
4. Grace in God is amazing because He does something for us. Grace in God is not just God telling us what to do, but doing something himself for us.
III. Grace is amazing because of what Jesus did for us
1. In Jesus grace brings salvation "For it is by grace you have been saved". Here we see the link between grace and gratis.
(a) Gratis not cheap, look at the cross
(b) Grace is simple, look at what is was needed
(c) salvation as result of what Jesus did, not what we do
2. In Jesus God fulfilled our salvation by grace. Through Jesus God’s grace planned our salvation; through Jesus God’s grace purchased our salvation; through Jesus God’s grace is applied to our lives.
3. Grace is Jesus is grace that sanctifies.
(a) We are not saved by Grace by sanctified by our own efforts
(b) Grace brings to the believers a new quality of life. We become God’s image as we were first created. This process is called sanctification
(c) "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him," Col 2:6
(d) If saved by Grace then also sanctified by grace.
IV. God’s Grace is amazing because I can use it in my own life
1. Our lives should be a reflection of his grace. What he has shown us we must show others. Lights in the world.