Summary: What God’s grace is all about.
WHAT’S SO AMAZING ABOUT GRACE
In his early 20’s John Newton made his way to Africa where he became involved in a lucrative enterprise called salve trade.
As a young man he ridiculed mocked and poked fun at the religious. In fact he was joking and mocking Christ just hours before his ship sailed into an angry storm.
That night the waves, wind, & rain battered the ship. For hour he and the other sailors struggled to keep the ship from sinking. He knew it was a lost cause. Finally w/ all hope gone he threw himself on the soaked deck and pleaded “Lord have mercy on us all”.
John Newton did not deserve mercy, but he received it that night. He and the crew survived the storm. John Newton never forgot the mercy God granted him that day on the Atlantic. He returns to England and became a prolific composer of hymns and preacher of God’s word. The slave trader turned preacher who could not help but tell the story of how God will meet you in your storm.
Several years before his death people urged him to give up preaching due to his health and failing memory. His response “my memory is almost gone, but two things I still remember I am a great sinner, and Jesus is a great savior. What more do I need to remember?
John Newton had experienced the grace of God in his life. He knew it was amazing. As a matter of fact one of his hymns speaks of this grace, perhaps you’ve heard of it.
Amazing grace how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.
Amazing grace! What does that mean? How does it work? What’s so amazing about grace?
The word amazing means… Excellent, Incredible, Tremendous, Wonderful.
• It’s what Grace is all about.
• You might say…“well that’s fine and dandy, but what does that heave to do with me?
• How does Grace affect my life ?
This morning from God’s word we are going to consider these questions. It is my prayer that God will help us truly understand what’s so amazing about Grace.
And in the process may our faith, hope, and love in Him and for Him might be strengthen.
***** READ Ephesians 1:1-9 *****
… PAUL …
I. The source of Grace: verses 1 & 2
• Verse 2 identifies the source of Grace – God our father & the Lord Jesus
• The result of Grace is Peace – Grace always Precedes Peace.
Grace is the expression of God’s love, while peace is the result of His love!
THE SOURCE OF GRACE IS GOD! BUT JUST WHAT IS GRACE ?
“Grace”- The blessing, goodness, love, & kindness of God, poured out into our lives… because that is what God wanted to do !
There is no Merit or Worth on our part…we had nothing to do with it…it is an act of God.
Deserve / Earn
Again, note the…
• Source of this Grace- God, and how did He revealed it… In and through His son Jesus.
• Cost of Grace- It’s FREE. Ephesians 2:8-9,
• Purpose of Grace- Ephesians 2:4-7
4. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5. even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ by grace you have been saved