Summary: Everything connected with our Great God is there great, including our salvation! Therefore, what make our salvation "so great?"
What is “SO GREAT” about Salvation?
INTRODUCTION: The Hebrews writer asked, “how shall we escape, if we neglect SO GREAT salvation” (Heb. 2:3). If salvation is neglected, there can be NO escape, but a “certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation” (Heb. 10:27). Therefore, consider several reasons why salvation is “SO GREAT.”
1. Salvation is “SO GREAT” because of the PRICE that was PAID for it. Paul said, “ye are bought with a price” (1 Cor. 6:20). The price that was paid was “His own blood” (Acts 20:28). Jesus’ blood is called “precious” in 1 Pet. 1:19. Jesus paid a price He did not owe; He paid it all.
2. Salvation is “SO GREAT” because of the PLAN that PRECEEDS it. The word TUPOS in Rom. 6:17-18 means “plan, form or pattern.” Vine’s says, “a cast or frame into which molten material is poured so as to take its shape” (pg.124). The Gospel plan of salvation is the mold [“form”]. Those who are obedient to the plan are granted “freedom” from sin (Rom. 6:18). The plan includes faith (Ron. 10:17), repentance (Acts 17:30), confession (Matt. 1:32-33) and baptism (Acts 2:38).
3. Salvation is “SO GREAT” because of the PEACE that it PRODUCES. Peace is valuable. Money has been spent, wars have been waged and battles have been fought; all in the name of peace. Jesus made peace between God and mankind at the cross (Eph. 2:14-17; Rom. 5:1). Therefore, all that are in Jesus Christ are “one” (Gal. 3:27) and have the right to boldly enter the presence of God (Eph. 2:18; Heb. 10:19).
4. Salvation is “SO GREAT” because of the PLEA that it PROCLAIMS. 2 Corinthians 5:20, “be ye reconciled to God.” Christians herald the truth – Jesus saves! It is a great honor to proclaim God’s “excellencies” (1 Pet.2:9).
5. Salvation is “SO GREAT” because of the PURPOSE for which it was PROPOSED. Ephesians 1:10, “that in the dispensation of the fullness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him.” Christians are connected with the eternal oneness.
6. Salvation is “SO GREAT” because of the PROMISES that PERPETUATE faithfulness. God’s promises are in the form of Spiritual Blessings (Eph. 1:3 says, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.”). The promises of the Lord are both abundant and infinite (Jam. 1:17).
7. Salvation is “SO GREAT” because of the PLACE that is PREPARED for it. Heaven is “far better” than anything here on earth (Phil. 1:23; Rom. 8:18). Heaven is an inheritance that is incorruptible [not liable to corruption or decay], undefiled [free from contamination] and never fads away [unfading, a symbol of perpetuity] (1 Pet. 1:4). It is the “paradise of God” (Rev. 2:7). Heaven will surely be worth it all!
CONCLUSION: Thank God for his “unspeakable gift” (2 Cor. 9:15). Knowing the greatness of the gift of Christ, how sad for those who miss heaven all together. Let us never lose sight of the gift and value of “SO GREAT” salvation!