Summary: This message dipicts the essence of hope and how easily it can be lost. Also, it tells of how to regain your hope to face the storms of life.
Scripture: Acts 27:20 - 25
Title: “When All Hope Is Gone!”
Introduction: There are some very important lessons to be learned in this portion of Scripture. We find the great Apostle Paul in a very difficult situation.
A storm is raging and the captain and crew aren’t really sure where they are because they’ve not been able to see the moon or stars for many days. V.20
The ship was breaking up and the food was running very low. The cargo had been thrown overboard to lighten the ship.
The soldiers on the ship wanted to kill the prisoners to keep them from escaping. The soldiers would be executed it they lost their prisoners.
Needless to say, things were getting DESPERATE!
Fear was running wild among almost everyone!
Hope was diminishing with every passing moment!
Paul himself wrote these words concerning this situation, “ . . . all hope that we should be saved was then taken away.” V.20
I want us to take a look at:
· What Hope Is!
· The Basis of Hope!
· Hope Stealers!
· The Cause of the Storm!
· What Hope Does!
WHAT IS HOPE?
· Hope is the expectation that everything is going to be all right.
· Hope is that divine part of us that keeps our eyes focused on the horizons ahead and helps us look toward tomorrow.
· Hope is the life-cord that sustains us through the storms we encounter.
· Hope is the fizz that keeps life from going flat.
· For hope to stand strong it must have the support of faith, confidence, knowledge, and expectation/anticipation.
The Basis of Hope!
· God’s Presence: Paul said, “For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, . . . ” Acts 27:23
· God’s Message: “Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee.” Acts 27:24
· God’s Love will never change.
- “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16
· God’s Word will never change.
- “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.” Mt. 24:35
· God’s purposes will never change.
- “For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.” Rom. 11:29
· God’s support will never leave us.
-“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” Heb. 13:5
· Storms – Especially, “Extended Storms!”
- This storm was so severe they had to turn the ship loose and let the wind carry it wherever it wanted. Acts 27:15
· Problems – Problems that seemed bigger than you faith.
· Sickness – Again, Extended Sickness!
· Broken Relationships - Marriages, etc.
· Losing Sight of the Goal. – Fog rolls in. “I like the story of Florence Chadwick who was the first woman to swim the English Channel both ways. She didn’t quite make it on her first attempt. It wasn’t the cold water. It wasn’t the sharks. It wasn’t the 15-hour swim. It was the fact that the fog rolled in and she couldn’t see the coastline. She quit half a mile from the goal. When she got out of the water she said, “I’m not trying to make an excuse but I feel like if the fog hadn’t been there and I could have seen the land, I would have made it.” Later she tried again. The fog rolled in again but this time she knew that the coastline was there. And she completed the journey. In fact, she did it in two fewer hours than anybody else had ever done it.”
What Causes of the Storm.
· Not every storm we experience is our fault.
· People refusing to listen to God’s instructions.
· Poor choices. – Presumption, soft winds.
· Ignoring the seasons.
· Pushing the limits.
· Desiring comfort over safety.
· Basing decisions on temporary situations.
· Doing things we know are reckless.
What Hope Does.
· Hope ENCOURAGES – “And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man’s life among you, but of the ship.” Acts 27:22
· Hope helps us to remember we are never out of God’s Reach! – The angel of the Lord found the ship and the Apostle even in the midst of the storm!
· Hope RESTORES – Expectation!
· Hope gives us back our ENERGY!
· Hope gives us PURPOSE for our life.
· Hope helps us to make it THROUGH the VALLEY!
· Hope helps us to LOOK beyond our PRESENT and look toward the FUTURE!
Conclusion: What are you holding onto to keep you afloat in the storm?