Summary: Receiving God’s Power at Christmas
Sermon Series: Christmas Promises for YOU
Today’s Message: When Can I Have God’s Power?
Dr. Ken Squires, Jr. (Squireskd@integrity.com)
December 17, 2006 Edited by Dale Weaver
(6)For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9-NIV)
(49)I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high. (Luke 24-NIV)
(34) Proclaim the power of God, whose majesty is over Israel, whose power is in the skies. (35) You are awesome, O God, in your sanctuary; the God of Israel gives power and strength to his people. Praise be to God (Psalm 6-NIV)
(17) Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you. (27) Behold, I am the Lord, the God of the whole human race; is anything too hard for me? (Jeremiah 32-NIV)
(27) But, He said, the things impossible with men are possible with God. (Luke 18-NIV)
(30) Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; (31) but those who hope (wait) in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint (Isaiah 40-NIV)
(8) Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away form me. (9) But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12 – NIV)
(1) The Lord is my light and my salvation -- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life -- of whom shall I be afraid? (3) Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident. (Psalm 27-NIV)
Some years ago, on New Year’s Day during the Tournament of Roses Parade, a beautiful float sputtered and quit. It was out of gas. The entire parade was stalled until someone could find a gas can and get this giant, flower-covered float moving again. The ironic thing was this float represented the Standard Oil Company. Despite the vast oil resources of this multinational corporation, its engine was out of gas (1).
How many Christians live life without sufficient gas to go the distance? Do you know that you have been clothed with His power?
(49) I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”(Luke 24-NIV)
People want to serve the God with the greatest power. This is only natural, as people are attracted to power. Young people and others attempt to experience power through Satanism, Ouija Boards, Dungeon and Dragons. Others engage in similar types of dabbling with Spiritualism, New Age and other occult practices. But it’s hollow. That’s right: nothing but smoke and mirrors -- Because there is only one God with real power.