Summary: The Story of the Magi has great things to teach us about what to do when the excitement of Christmas dies down.
The Story of the Magi has great things to teach us about what to do when the excitement of Christmas dies down.
DEDICATION: Wise Men’s (Magi) Response
Matthew 2:1-2 (NIV)
1After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod. Magi from the east came to Jerusalem, 2and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east, and have come to worship him."
• PRACTICAL: They are not afraid to ask for directions
• PERCEPTIVE: They are not afraid to follow the star
• PERSISTENT: They have endurance
• PRO-GOD: They have come to worship
DEVOTION: Choosing to worship though weary yet overjoyed
10When they saw the star, they were filled with joy! 11They entered the house where the child and his mother, Mary, were, and they fell down before him and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
• Persevere: Reaffirm your faith with Magi-like dedication
Even after their perilous long journey, they joyfully worship, opened up their treasures and fell down before the Christ- child in contrast to Herod and Jerusalem who got disturbed
3When King Herod heard this he was disturbed and all Jerusalem with him. 4When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Christ was to be born?"
Herod and Jerusalem –right pedigree, right background, right race, right class esp, Herod, right religious tradition, right culture
But Herod and Jerusalem did not have the faith of the Magi
Worship of the Magi – gives hope to all outside the fold if they persevere to seek Christ – they know they are part of those who have been invited to God’s kingdom to worship Him. It doesn’t matter where you come from – it’s about the heart that seeks…
• Perspective: Have a long-term view
The Magi’s journey was not an instant fix they had a year trek.
16Herod was furious when he learned that the wise men had outwitted him. He sent soldiers to kill all the boys in and around Bethlehem who were two years old and under, because the wise men had told him the star first appeared to them about TWO YEARS earlier. Matt 2:16
• Pace: Set a rhythm for personal growth and worship
The Magi’s pace journey to worship the Christ-child speaks of the pace – if they did not constantly set a pace they wouldn’t reach their destination.
What about our response?
• Bear gifts to worship or bear death?
• Honestly search or search to kill off faith?
• Pretend to worship or come to worship?
• Disturbed or find peace, good will of God?
“The Son of God has come and has given us understanding so that we may know him” 1 John 5:20
The Christmas spirit can last for than just a month if we…
• Realize that God loves to reveal Himself to people on the wrong tracks such as the Magi
• Commit to Magi-like worship “We have come to worship”
• Two words: dedication and devotion of our hearts is to KNOW Him is what GOD REALLY DESIRES