Summary: A brief exposition of Daniel 5 when God wrote to Belshazzar.
The Handwriting On The Wall
There are 6 things I would like to draw your attention to this morning in this passage of scripture.
I. NOTICE THE FEAST – It was glamorous. Sin is beautiful.
1. Millions are at sin’s feasts. – kings, peasants, slaves, royalty
2. Sin makes a mockery of God. – Vs. 2
3. There is a great difference between the beginning of Sin and its close. – Vs. 6
II. NOTICE THE HANDWRITING – Vs. 5
Three times in history God actually wrote with his own hand.
1. The Handwriting of the Law on Mt Sinai – 10 Commandments – Ex. 20
2. The Handwriting of Love – Jn. 8 – On the ground in Jerusalem
3. The Handwriting of Judgment – For Belshazzar
God wrote once at the giving of the Law, once at the breaking of the Law and once to forgive the breaking of the Law.
When God writes anything, man had better take notice. – Read it.
III. NOTICE BELSHAZZAR – Notice the sinner.
1. He was in rebellion against God.
2. Sometimes God has to sober a person.
3. He was troubled. – Sin troubles – Vs. 9
IV. NOTICE DANIEL – The man of God.
1. He was a spiritual man. – Vs. 11
2. He walked with God. – Vs. 14
3. He didn’t serve God for his own gain. – Vs. 17
4. He preached as God led him. – He was unafraid of the king.
V. NOTICE GOD’S MESSAGE – Vs. 25
1. MENE – Numbered – the days of life
2. Tekel – Weighed – the ways of life
3. PERES – Broken – the thread of life.
There are several balances upon which Men are morally weighed.
1. The balance of Conscience
2. The balance of Circumstances
3. The balance of Public opinion
4. The balance of Scripture
5. The balance of Divine judgment
VI. NOTICE GOD’S JUDGMENT – Vs. 30
The wages of sin is death.
The judgment was swift and sudden.
Death is swift and sudden.