Summary: Heaven became silent when sin entered into the world, when Jesus died, and when sinners stand before God at the judgment.
REV.8:1 "WHEN HEAVEN BECAME SILENT"
* Heaven is a place of rejoicing! * There are angels that are praising God.
* All the saints of old are there marching around the throne saying, "Glory to God and honor to
the Lamb that was slain, Hallelujah, Amen!" * Heaven is not a quiet place!
* But our text says "there was silence in heaven." * Tell why the silence.
* Note three things on this subject, "When heaven became silent."
(1) WHEN SIN INVADED THE EARTH! * Gen.1-3 The creation & what happened!
* God had created everything in this world and it was good.
A) Light - first day. * God divided the waters under the firmament from the waters above the
firmament - He called it heaven - second day.
B) Dry land - Earth; grass, herb, fruit trees - third day.
* Divided the day and night - fourth day. * Living creatures - fifth day.
* God created His master piece on the sixth day - man. * Then He made woman.
C) He gave them a beautiful garden to live in! * God walked with them daily!
* But something terrible happened! * Everything was fine until Satan appeared!
* Sweet fellowship was broken! * All heaven stood still while the devil stood back laughing,
* as Adam & Eve had to live in the guilt of their sin!
* God’s heart was broken! * Angels hushed their singing, Heaven became silent!
(2) WHEN OUR SUBSTITUTE DIED IN OUR PLACE! * Jesus was innocent!
* He did nothing worthy of death! * Gethsemane ....... * Stands before Pilate ...
* The mob says, "Crucify Him, Crucify Him!"
A) They strip the garments from His back, bound His hands and pulled them into the air.
* A soldier got a scourge, cat of nine tails, interwoven with pieces of metal and tipped with
ivory hooks on the end of each lash.
B) When that screaming scourge would wrap around the bare back of a condemned criminal,
* The hooks would catch into the flesh. * Then it was pulled across the bones, ripping the flesh!
* Jesus’ face twisted as the weight of that scourge plowed into His back!
* The whistling whip crashed into the flesh, splattered the blood, & cut the meat off the ribs!
C) 39 strokes cut His back into a lacerated mass of twitching nerves. * With every crushing blow,
* hot flashes of pain flooded His body! * The white naked ribs were showing through the torn flesh!
* The blood ran freely down His scourged back and puddled on the ground!
* He was giving it back to God for your sins and mine!
D) The soldiers took Jesus into the common hall, scarlet robe of mockery; crown of thorns.
* From the common hall they began their rugged journey to the hill of death.
* A heavy cross was placed on His back. * The howling mob follows; laughing, mocking, and
crying for His blood! * They spit in His face, hit Him with their fists.
* Isa.50:6 says that they pulled His beard from His face.
E) Isa.52:14 "... His visage was so marred more than any man, and His form more than the ..."
* The murderous procession making slow progress when they reach the gates,
* A soldier curses, kicks Christ in the side and says, "On thou blaspheming Jew, onto the place
of death!" * Jesus falls to the ground ... * Simon of Cyrene was compelled to carry - cross!