Summary: Mark records what happened when Jesus came to church. The normal order was interrupted, the people were amazed, the forces of evil were disturbed, and the oppressed were set free. The same thing should happen today when Jesus comes to Church!
WHEN JESUS CAME TO CHURCH
A. HUMOR: FAITH BETTER THAN ATHEISM
1. I read about a rabbi who was sitting next to an atheist on an airplane. Every few minutes, one of the rabbi’s children or grandchildren would inquire about his needs for food, drink, or comfort.
2. The atheist commented, “The respect your children and grandchildren show you is wonderful. My kids don’t show me that kind of respect.”
3. The rabbi responded, “Think about it. To my children and grandchildren, I am one step closer in a chain of tradition to the time when God spoke to the whole Jewish people on Mount Sinai. To your children and grandchildren, you are one step closer to being an ape.” (Laura Schlessinger)
21 They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach. 22 The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law. 23 Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an evil spirit cried out, 24 “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!” 25 “Be quiet!” said Jesus sternly. “Come out of him!” 26 The evil spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek. 27 The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching—and with authority! He even gives orders to evil
spirits and they obey him.” 28 News about him spread quickly over the whole region of Galilee. Mark 1:21-28
1. If Jesus were to personally walk into every church this morning, what would it be like?
2. We all have our stereo-typical opinions of what it would be like: some think we’d feel an awesome peace; others think a heavenly love would pervade; others, a feeling of tenderness & compassion.
3. But are we right? What would actually happen if Jesus showed up for church? Well, it happened in Capernaum, and it was different than anyone expected.
4. Someone has said that if God took the Holy Spirit out of the world, 90% of the churches would never know it, because the Holy Spirit is so restricted from moving freely or at all!
5. That’s why so many churches are dry, disconnected, tedious, and boring. But you can tell the difference when Jesus shows up for church! God’s presence is manifested!
6. The title of this morning's message is, "When Jesus came to Church." We're going to look at the power of Jesus’ teaching, see his confrontation with evil, and see the people's reaction to the miracle.
I. POWER OF JESUS’ TEACHING
1. It happened at the First A of G in Capernaum;
2. It was: a. An Awesome Day, in
b. God’s's House, with
c. The God's Son,
d. Teaching God's Word.
3. What was the effect of Jesus' teaching?
B. JESUS AMAZED THE PEOPLE Why?
1. He Preached The Truth. Truth is powerful. The Word is like a sword, piercing and dividing.
2. Jesus didn't teach like the Scribes.
a. They quoted traditions, ventured opinions.
b. They tried to impress people with their wisdom.