Summary: Being near to Jesus dramatically and dynamically changes our life.
WHEN JESUS DRAWS NEAR
7/12/09 Luke 24:13-34 S__ L__ R__
1. Two People – heated discussion
a. some scholars thing its husband and wife
b. point & counter point
c. not - of rancor but of desperation
2. Discussion is not to prove/defeat/accuse
a. share thoughts & feelings
3. Discovery of some mutual ground
a. not winning or losing; right or wrong
b. seeking to understand the truth
1. HE OPENS OUR SOULS Vs. 17-24
A. Explore our Doubts
1. No longer sure who Jesus was
2. No longer sure of the words He spoke
B. Expose our Failures
1. They had kept their silence
2. They had kept their distance
C. Express our Fears
1. On the run – were they next?
2. Were they wrong about Him?
3. More questions than answers
2. HE OPENS HIS SCRIPTURES V. 25-27
A. Exposes their Ignorance
1. Fools – one w/no Comprehension
2. Slow of Heart – one w/no Connection
3. to believe- no Commitment
B. Explains His Word
1. With one sentence validates Old Test.
2. If You leave Jesus out of OT miss point
3. OT-Coming; Gospels-Came; Rev.-again
3. HE OPENS OUR ARMS Vs. 28-29
A. Common Courtesy
1. Not really expecting - to say yes
2. Past nothing else would have been said
B. Compassionate Courtesy
1. Left no doubt as to their desire
2. When you really want Jesus – HE STAYS
4. HE OPENS OUR EYES Vs. 30-31
A. That We Might See Him
1. In All of His Majesty and Glory
Isaiah 6:1-4 (MSG) In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Master sitting on a throne—high, exalted!—and the train of his robes filled the Temple. 2 Angel-seraphs hovered above him, each with six wings. With two wings they covered their faces, with two their feet, and with two they flew. 3 And they called back and forth one to the other, Holy, Holy, Holy is God-of-the-Angel-Armies. His bright glory fills the whole earth. 4 The foundations trembled at the sound of the angel voices, and then the whole house filled with smoke.
Acts 7:55-56 (KJV)
But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
B. That We Might See Others
Matthew 9:36-38 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then said he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the laborers are few; 38 Pray you therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth laborers into his harvest.
C. That We Might See Ourselves
Isaiah 6:5-7 (MSG) I said, "Doom! It’s Doomsday! I’m as good as dead! Every word I’ve ever spoken is tainted— blasphemous even! And the people I live with talk the same way, using words that corrupt and desecrate. And here I’ve looked God in the face! The King! God-of-the-Angel-Armies!" 6 Then one of the angel-seraphs flew to me. He held a live coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 He touched my mouth with the coal and said, "Look. This coal has touched your lips. Gone your guilt, your sins wiped out."
5. HE OPENS OUR HEARTS Vs 32
A. To His Presence
1. His reality no longer question
2. He is here – Kirk Talley
He is here, hallelujah - He is here, amen
He is here, Holy, Holy
I will bless His name again
He is here, listen closely
Hear Him calling out your name
He is here you can touch Him
You will never be the same
B. To His Power
1. Command Eph 5:18 Be filled with the Spirit
6. HE OPENS OUR MOUTHS Vs. 33-35
1. Doubts settled – Fears laid aside
a. They had seen Jesus & had to tell some one!
Stand with me this morning – sing “Open the eyes of my heart Lord” – altars open;
Need to be saved? Join? Come to me!