Summary: When Jesus comes face to face with the effects of the occult what is His process?
WHEN JESUS ENCOUNTERS THE OCCULT
Mark 5:1-20 Rev. Ron Hughes
- In light of the time of year ... “Halloween”.
· They arrive in the boat ... crossing the sea. With Jesus in your boat, you always arrive.
We will see three forces at works here:
- Satan .... destructive
- Society ... Not able to help, isolate but not help (Later: Reject Jesus because of commerce)
- Savior ... Came through a storm to get here and shows authority over both Satan and society.
I. Characteristics of involvement in the occult or demons
- We see a totally different person under demonic influence.
- Satan not only wants to destroy but also degrade, lessen (Free: Man from ape?)
· Immediately there to meet Him was a demoniac.
· Mark then describes him.
1. Dwelling on death v.3.
- Occult theme of death
- Lived in the grave yard
- Contact with death prevalent in occult
2. Rejects "Restraints" v. 3,4
- Free for all. No one has a right to tell you what is right or wrong. No barriers or restraints for the occultist.
- Possession can result in "supernatural" strength
* Acts 19:13-16 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches. And there were seven sons of Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
And the man who had the evil spirit leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.
- Tough attitudes
- Reject authority restraints
- Never been tried to reclaim with gentleness but restrained by force.
- Rules don’t apply to them
- Anti-social behaviour
3. Severe Anxiety v.5.
- Fear/ no rest (Stephen King says he lives in fear)
- Cry out - internal hurts
- Torment, confusion (V. 6,7,9,10 – “I, me, we, them”)
- Price of possession is high.
4. Self-Mutilation v.5.
- Blood letting
- Ultimate is suicide
- Self-destruction is evident in pigs.
Not unusual to see those with serious involvment in the dark world to bare tattoos and scars of self mutilation.
5. Anti-Christ Perception v.7,8
- Not just “against” Jesus (Spiritual insight evident – James 2:19)
- Warped view of Jesus
- Feels Jesus there to hurt them.
6. Victims v.9.
- All occult people are victims of Satan’s lies
- They are searching for truth
7. They Are Not Totally Blind To Jesus v.6.
- Though from a distance they can see Him
- You must shine the light to these people
II. When Jesus Encounters The Occult
1. Jesus Reveals The Destructive Power Of The Enemy vs.9-14
- Comes to kill,steal & destroy
- To Satan, he treats men the same as pigs.
- Legion: 5-6 thousand.
- Also see that the demons didn’t know what Jesus’/Gods plans were.
2. Jesus Gives Rest v.15
- Compare to vs.5
- Didn’t want to give this up .... “fear” steals it.
- Secure in “close contact” with Jesus.
Matt.11: 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
3. Jesus Gives Dignity v.15