Summary: It’s not what’s in your boat, but who’s in your boat that makes the difference. When Jesus is in your boat, He is everything you need.
THE STORY OF JESUS #3: WHEN JESUS IS IN YOUR BOAT
INTRO TO THE STORY OF JESUS:
The four Gospels are full of the stories of the signs and wonders and healings and miracles of Jesus, how He healed the sick, forgave the sinners, and transformed people’s lives.
• My hope and prayer is that you would be fascinated with the awesomeness of Jesus.
• If you’ve never given your life to Jesus, surrender your life to Him today!
• Take time over the next few weeks to join with us in reading through the story of Jesus.
• Do you know Jesus? Do you want to know Him more? (Phil. 3:10: “To know Him…”).
“1 In those days, the multitude being very great and having nothing to eat, Jesus called His disciples to Him and said to them, 2 "I have compassion on the multitude, because they have now continued with Me three days and have nothing to eat. 3 And if I send them away hungry to their own houses, they will faint on the way; for some of them have come from afar." 4 Then His disciples answered Him, "How can one satisfy these people with bread here in the wilderness?" 5 He asked them, "How many loaves do you have?" And they said, "Seven." 6 So He commanded the multitude to sit down on the ground. And He took the seven loaves and gave thanks, broke them and gave them to His disciples to set before them; and they set them before the multitude. 7 They also had a few small fish; and having blessed them, He said to set them also before them. 8 So they ate and were filled, and they took up seven large baskets of leftover fragments. 9 Now those who had eaten were about four thousand. And He sent them away, 10 immediately got into the boat with His disciples, and came to the region of Dalmanutha.” (Mark 8:1-10, NKJV).
• Philippians 4:19 says, “My God shall supply all of your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Jesus will give us our daily bread and provide for us!
“14 Now the disciples had forgotten to take bread, and they did not have more than one loaf with them in the boat. 15 Then He charged them, saying, "Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod." 16 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, "It is because we have no bread." 17 But Jesus, being aware of it, said to them, "Why do you reason because you have no bread? Do you not yet perceive nor understand? Is your heart still hardened? 18 Having eyes, do you not see? And having ears, do you not hear? And do you not remember? 19 When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full of fragments did you take up?" They said to Him, "Twelve." 20 "Also, when I broke the seven for the four thousand, how many large baskets full of fragments did you take up?" And they said, "Seven." 21 So He said to them, "How is it you do not understand?” (Mark 8:14-21, NKJV).
THE BIG IDEA: It’s not what’s in your boat, but who’s in your boat that makes the difference. When Jesus is in your boat, He is everything you need.
1. JESUS IS IN OUR BOAT:
“On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, "Let us cross over to the other side.” (Mark 4:35).
• As Christians on the journey of life, it’s helpful to remember that Jesus is in our boat.
• The disciples were in this boat being obedient to Jesus when they encountered a storm.
2. STORMS ARE INEVITABLE:
“Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow…” (Mark 4:36-38a).
• “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have PEACE. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33).
o We need to realize that storms will come – they are inevitable!
o However, if you have Jesus in your boat, you can have peace in those storms.
• What storm are you facing in your life?
o Relationship storm? Financial storm? Health storm? Emotional storm (no peace)?
o Whatever your storm, don’t forget who’s in the boat with you – Jesus!
3. WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A STORM – GO TO JESUS:
“And they awoke Him and said to Him, "Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing? Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace, be still!" And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.” (Mark 4:38b-39).