Summary: What Jesus left behind in the tomb and what He took with Him when He left the Tomb.
WHEN JESUS LEFT BEHIND AN EMPTY TOMB
LUKE 24:1-8 1 APR 18 DR. M POPE
INTRO: Philip Henry used to call the Lord's day the queen of days, the pearl of the week, and observed it accordingly. His common salutation of his family or friends, on the Lord's day in the morning, was that of the primitive Christians--"The Lord is risen”, (their response) “He is risen indeed;" making it his chief business on that day to celebrate the memory of Christ's resurrection; and he would say sometimes, "Every Lord's day is a true Christian's Easter day."
I. WHAT JESUS LEFT BEHIND
1. OUR SIN – 2 Cor 5:21 “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
Rm 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
2. OUR JUDGMENT – John 5:24 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
3. OUR DEATH - Heb 2:9 “But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.”
4. OUR LONELINESS: (ALL FORSOOK HIM) Josh 1:5 “…I will not leave you nor forsake you.”
II. WHAT JESUS TOOK WITH HIM FROM THE TOMB
1. PARDON FOR SIN – 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
IS 55:7 “Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts; Let him return to the LORD, And He will have mercy on him; And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon.
IS 43:25 “I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; And I will not remember your sins.”
2. LIFE EVERLASTING –
1 John 5:11 “And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.”
John 6:40 “And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”
3. PEACE – John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart e troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
Some of you may still feel guilt over sin, can’t seem to hand hold of the peace god says is yours
One of two reasons, first may never been saved
Or secondly you have gone back and picked up your old sins you used to love and cherish.
You have brought it into your life and hidden them behind a disgusting, loathsome, filthy curtain. Every now and then you go behind that curtain when you think no one is watching and you will indulge yourself in your private sin and shame.
Then when you emerge you say a quick prayer asking God to forgive this sin, but you won’t find peace because you refuse to pull the curtain back, point at it and call that evil in your life sin and confess it before God and repent of it.
4. POWER OF GOD TO LIVE A NEW LIFE (HOLY SPIRIT)
Acts 1:8 “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me….”
RM 8:14 “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.”
5. A NEW, GLORIFIED, RESURRECTED BODY
1 COR 15:50-54 “Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”