Summary: 1. WHAT WE DON’T KNOW 2. WHAT WE DO KNOW 5. Life Ingredients 3. A Phrase Difference Gives A New Focus 4. ALL THINGS 5. Life Ingredients
Our Daily Bread
It has a story about a shipwreck. When the sole survivor reached a small, uninhabited island, he prayed for God to rescue him, but help didn't come. Eventually he built a hut out of driftwood for protection from the elements.
One day he returned from scavenging for food and found his hut in flames, the smoke rising into the sky. Angrily he cried,
"God, how could You do this to me?"
The next morning he was awakened by rescuers.
"How did you know I was here?" he asked.
"We saw your smoke signal," they replied.
1. WHAT WE DON’T KNOW
- Why a highway accident kills a family
- Why innocent kids are gunned down in school
- Why good people die because of sickness
- We know not by looking at the events of our life but by knowing Him
John 11:4 (AV)
4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
- C.S. Lewis – “God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains”
2. WHAT WE DO KNOW
- Knowing art is good but knowing the artist is best
- Knowing the music is good but knowing the composer is best
- Knowing the writings is good but knowing the author is best
- Knowing child psychology is different than knowing your children
Matthew 7:11 (AV)
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
3. A Phrase Difference Gives A New Focus
- KJV: "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God."
- NIV: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him."
- NASB: "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good."
- KJV places God at the end
- NIV & NASB God is at the beginning.
- Nothing wrong with the KJV text & grammar
- It is placing the proper emphasis on God first
4. ALL THINGS
- Not most
- Not some
- it’s Comprehensive no restrictions or conditions
- Including Present Trouble, Aching Head, Heavy Heart, Lost Of Job, Finances, Home. Love One
- J. Vernon McGee: Thru the Bible Commentary
- Good and bad; bright and dark; sweet and bitter; easy and hard; happy and sad; prosperity and poverty; health and sickness; calm and storm; comfort and suffering; life and death.
1 Samuel 2:6–9 (AV) Hannah’s Prayer
6 The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.
7 The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.
8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD’S, and he hath set the world upon them.
9 He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.
Proverbs 16:9 (AV)
9 A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.
5. Life Ingredients
1 Corinthians 2:9 (AV)
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
- It used to be when getting a prescription filled at the drug store. - The druggist would take several bottles off the shelf, mix them together and make a medicine.
- Some of the chemicals he uses may be dangerous and even fatal, but when they are mixed together in the proper amounts, they can heal your body.
- God takes all our problems, and our situations mix them all together to turn something to good
- Condition of God working out all things for good
“to them that love God… “
- If you don’t trust the doctor, you won’t follow his prescription
- Result, you wouldn't experience the blessing of healing.
- If you do not love God, and trust His wisdom, you will rebel
- Result no submission & lost of purpose of His plan for your life
- God’s purpose in turning everything to good is not to bless you, make you happy, or make you wealthy.
- God is doing all that He does to make you more like Jesus!
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (AV)
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
Ingredients that make up dinner
Ingredients to recipe