Summary: Listen to what Joshua was facing in today’s scripture reading. Sometimes we’re faced with situations that uproot us and cause us to go deep within ourselves. How do you let go and let God have control?
SERMON OUTLINE AND NOTES
Bridgewater United Methodist Church—Pastor Don Hawks
WHEN LIFE SEEMS OUT OF CONTROL
Pew Bible, OT pp. -------
• The Universal questions:
“How can I be happy?”; “How can I get better control of my life”
“A person is about as happy as he makes up his mind to be.”—Abraham Lincoln
STEPS THAT I CAN FOLLOW TO GAIN MORE CONTENTMENT THROUGH A LIFE FOCUSED ON LETTING GO AND LETTING GOD HAVE CONTROL OF MY LIFE.
1. I can choose to be unmoved by what others think of me and of how the world is reacting to me.
2. I can focus on what is working in my life, NOT what is not working.
Philippians 4:4-9 “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellent and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.” (NRSV).
3. I can be strong and courageous and not allow appearances to weaken my resolve.
4. I can make every effort to live in God’s Truth.
• “Something good is going to happen to you today”—Oral Roberts
• My daily declaration of faith can be: “God is in control of my life, and that makes me happy!”
• Ephesians 5:8 -- “For once you were in darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.”
ANSWERS TO BLANKS:
1. RESULT: I will celebrate more; I will have less anxiety.
2. RESULT: I will make more and better choices in my life.
3. RESULT: I will have the power to see life circumstances through God’s eyes.
4. RESULT: I will have a constant sense of comfort; when I look back and think about some of the decisions I have made in life, I will see the progress of my life