Summary: Are you ready for when Jesus comes? Will you be ashamed or rewarded?
I. Some will be Remorseful (Shemei) vs. 16-20
He had reason to be ashamed - 2 Samuel 16:5 "And when king David came to Bahurim, behold, thence came out a man of the family of the house of Saul, whose name was Shimei, the son of Gera: he came forth, and cursed still as he came. 6 And he cast stones at David, and at all the servants of king David: and all the people and all the mighty men were on his right hand and on his left. 7 And thus said Shimei when he cursed, Come out, come out, thou bloody man, and thou man of Belial:"
- vs. 13 And as David and his men went by the way, Shimei went along on the hill’s side over against him, and cursed as he went, and threw stones at him, and cast dust".
Why was he ashamed?
A. He Cursed the King - The same as God’s children today living lives that leave the King of kings out of their lives.
B. He Cast Stones at the King (how do we do that?)
1. Doubt - We do that by not believing His Word
We think we know better! - And we doubt God. There is no sin in the sight of God more aggravated than unbelief. Mark 16:14 "Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen".
2. Disobedience - We can lose our rewards - 2 John vs. 8 "Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward".
3. Denial of Sin - 1 Jo 1:10 "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us".
C. He Cast Stones at the King’s Servants (some church folks are guilty of this)
James 3:14 "But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace." He continues: 4:1 "From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?"
II. Some will be Relieved (Mephibosheth) 24-30 We will find our position is still ok!
A. His Past Had been Settled - 2 Sam 9
1. A RUINED INHERITANCE (by his grandfather)
* A Life of Transgression - The Sin of the Grandfather Saul
* The Loss of the Throne
2. RADICAL INJURIES - 2Sa 4:4,
* Disabled - He was crippled 2sa 4:4 The fall of sin has disabled man
* Deserted - He was alone, no other left of his family!
* Destitute - House of Machir - SOLD - He was sold into a life of poverty - He was dwelling in Lodebar - The Land of no Pasture.
3. But then came A ROYAL INVITATION - vs. 1, 5-8
- David remembered his promise to Jonathan in 1Sa 20:15
Tit 3:3 "For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. 4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;"