Summary: Problems & Difficulties in life. (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
When things go from bad to worse!
Reading: Exodus chapter 5
• Have you ever had one of those days that started out bad;
• And only got worse as the day wore on?
• Some of you are thinking days…
• I have weeks (or months) like that!
• I like the story of the couple who had been married a few years;
• When arguments and disagreements seemed to be constant in their relationship.
• They had been at each others throats for so long;
• That counselling seemed to be their only hope of making the marriage work.
• He was incredibly insensitive and dull;
• She was hyperactive and dominant;
• And that is never a good mix!
When they arrived at their first counselling session, things did not start well:
• The husband slumped in the chair, stared down at the carpet;
• And gave the impression he would rather be somewhere else!
• The wife however launched into a 90mph conversion;
• Describing all the wrongs within their marriage.
• Every problem could be traced back to him,
• His failures, his insensitivities, his failure to communicate, and she went on & on & on.
• After 15 minutes of the wife talking non-stop;
• The counsellor stood up and without saying a word,
• Walked around his desk and bent over in front of the wife;
• He picked her up by her shoulders, gave her a big hug,
• And kissed her passionately for several minutes on the lips,
• He then sat her down….
• Looked at the husband and said,
• “That is what your wife needs at least twice a week”
• The stunned husband thought for a minute, scratched his head and said;
• “Well I could bring her in on Tuesdays and Wednesdays”
• When we miss understand what’s going on;
• We can often make a situation worse and not better!
Now Cecil B. DeMille did not write the script for Moses’ life - God did!
• And contrary to popular belief Moses did not look like Charlton Heston!
• He was just an ordinary human being, like you and me;
• And he was driven by the same impulses, that each one of us experience;
• The same highs and lows, the same kinds of ups and downs.
• And Moses, like each one of us;
• Had to learn to cope with days, weeks, months – when things went from bad to worse!
We are picking up the story in chapter 4 verse 29:
• For Moses this particular day started with him riding the crest of a wave of confidence:
• He had called together the Hebrew elders (leaders);
• And he has received their full support.
• He had also performed miracles (supernatural acts) to support his call from God;
• And he had spoken powerfully (something he thought, that he had forgotten how to do).
• Verse 31: He got the Leaders of the Hebrews to spontaneously worship the Lord;
• For Moses and his brother Aaron, things could not have gone any better than they did!
• Then they encountered a stubborn, arrogant, and cruel individual named Pharaoh,
• He would start a chain of reactions that would mean life for Moses and his people;
• Life suddenly going from bad to worse.
• For Moses and Aaron this would turn into the type of day:
• That they wished they could have just pulled the covers over their heads & stayed in bed.