Summary: When trouble comes "with the finality of an earthquake" (v.2), "with the fury of a storm" (v.3a), and "with the force of a flood" (v.3b), how do we cope up?
When trouble comes "with the finality of an earthquake" (v.2), "with the fury of a storm" (v.3a), and "with the force of a flood" (v.3b), how do we cope up?
"The second law of spiritual thermodynamics: the greater the heat, the greater the expansion."
I. YOU MUST REALIZE
A. That God is a refuge for His people (v.1)
1. Through His "strength"
2. Through His "very presence"
B. That God is resident among His people (v.5)
1. The God of Purpose - "Most High" v.4
2. The God of Power - "Lord of Hosts" v.7
3. The God of Patience - "God of Jacob" v.7
C. That God sends a river to His people (v.4)
1. A refreshing river - "makes Glad"
2. A reviving river (Ezek. 47:9, John 7:37-39)
II. YOU MUST RESPOND
A. Reflect on what this means
1. God is refuge, therefore...fear is illogical v.2
2. God is resident, therefore...city is immovable v.5
3. God has a river, therefore...Christianity is invincible v.5b
B. Review what God has done (vs. 8-9)
C. Rejoice in what is promises (v.10b)
III. You must relax - "be still" is literally "relax"
A. Resist the natural impulses-"Be still v.10a
B. Restore the spiritual relationship-"and know" v.10b