Summary: This sermon gives forms and purposes of fasting.
Forms of Fasting
1) Normal Fasting - abstaining from all forms of food, solid or liquid; but not from water. Jesus fasted 40 days Matt 4:2
2) Absolute Fast - abstainging from both food and water. Saul after being smitten by the light fasted three days with neither food or water. Acts 9:9 (Normally this fast should be limited to three days because the body starts dehydrating.)
Moses(Exodus 34:28) and Elijah ( 1st Kings 19:5) under supernatural conditions undertook the 40 day absolute fast.
3) Partial Fast - a restriction of diet rather than complete abstention. Daniel fasted three weeks from desirable food. Daniel 10:3
Purposes of Fasting
2) To humble one’s soul before God. Psalms 69:10
3) In order to receive more grace. 1st Peter 5:5 For God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
4) To feel God’s close presence. Isaih 57:15 To revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
5) To mourn over personal sis and failure. 1st Samuel 7:6
6) To mourn over the sins of the church, nation and world. Nehemiah 9:1-2
7) To seek grace for a new task and reaffirm our consecration to God.
8) To seek God by drawing near to Him and Prevailing in prayer against opposing spiritual forces.
9) To save souls from the bondage of evil.
10) To gain revelation, wisdom, and udnerstanding concerning the will of God. Acts 13:2
11) To open the way for the outpouring of the Spirit and Christ’s return to earth for His people.
God directed my to put this on Sermon Central. I hope it is a blessing in your life!
Some of this info was taken from the Full Life Study Bible