Summary: On a close inspection of our life what do we find. Have my years of privileged & opportunity through my sin & indifference has carried me future & further from God?
Where Are The Figs?
Many are like that famous painting of olden time, in which the artist depicted what seemed at a distance a holy friar with a book before him,, and his hands crossed in devotion, looking like a saint indeed, but when you came close to the venerable impostor, you found that his hands, though clasped, enclosed a lemon, and instead of a book there was a punch-into which he was squeezing the juice.
- On a close inspection of our life what do we find.
- It’s a sorrowful discovery to find that my years of privileged & opportunity through my sin & indifference has carried me future & further from God
Mark 11:12 (KJV)
And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:
Matthew 25:42 (KJV)
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink
John 19:28-29 (KJV):
After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put [it] upon hyssop, and put [it] to his mouth.
- Do I give Him vinegar?
Three Things - 1. The Search
2. The Discovery
3. The Judgment
1. THE SEARCH
A. Who Is The Seeker?
- The hungry Savior Son of God
- Think how much he has done for this tree.
- It’s very existence depends on His Good
- Am I much different?
- He parts the leaves of my life
Leaf of Ambition -- Action --- Goals Words - Desires -- Thoughts
- What is He receiving?
- He is seeking what will satisfy His soul
- Deuteronomy 32:16-21 (KJV)
- Deuteronomy 32:16-21 (KJV)
They provoked him to jealousy with strange [gods], with abominations provoked they him to anger.
17 They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new [gods that] came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.
18 Of the Rock [that] begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.
19 And when the LORD saw [it], he abhorred [them], because of the provoking of his sons, and of his daughters.
20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end [shall be]: for they [are] a very froward generation, children in whom [is] no faith.
21 They have moved me to jealousy with [that which is] not God; they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: and I will move them to jealousy with [those which are] not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.
B. Where He Seeks
- A Fig Tree
- Not from Thistles
- Not from Thorns
- Not from Briars
- The tree had a name of a Fruit Bearer
- Awe if we bear the name of Christ
- He looks for the Fruit of a Christian Life
Mark 11:13 (KJV)
And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not [yet]. note italics: -- (not the season for figs)
- Fig trees bear fruit before leaves
- This was early & had lots of leaves
- The fruit should be ripe & juicy
Galatians 5:22-23 (KJV)
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,