Summary: On a close inspection of our life what do we find. Have my years of privileged & opportunity through my sin & indifference has carried me future & further from God?
Where Are The Figs?
Many are like that famous painting of olden time, in which the artist depicted what seemed at a distance a holy friar with a book before him,, and his hands crossed in devotion, looking like a saint indeed, but when you came close to the venerable impostor, you found that his hands, though clasped, enclosed a lemon, and instead of a book there was a punch-into which he was squeezing the juice.
- On a close inspection of our life what do we find.
- It’s a sorrowful discovery to find that my years of privileged & opportunity through my sin & indifference has carried me future & further from God
Mark 11:12 (KJV)
And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:
Matthew 25:42 (KJV)
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink
John 19:28-29 (KJV):
After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put [it] upon hyssop, and put [it] to his mouth.
- Do I give Him vinegar?
Three Things - 1. The Search
2. The Discovery
3. The Judgment
1. THE SEARCH
A. Who Is The Seeker?
- The hungry Savior Son of God
- Think how much he has done for this tree.
- It’s very existence depends on His Good
- Am I much different?
- He parts the leaves of my life
Leaf of Ambition -- Action --- Goals Words - Desires -- Thoughts
- What is He receiving?
- He is seeking what will satisfy His soul
- Deuteronomy 32:16-21 (KJV)
- Deuteronomy 32:16-21 (KJV)
They provoked him to jealousy with strange [gods], with abominations provoked they him to anger.
17 They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new [gods that] came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.
18 Of the Rock [that] begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.
19 And when the LORD saw [it], he abhorred [them], because of the provoking of his sons, and of his daughters.
20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end [shall be]: for they [are] a very froward generation, children in whom [is] no faith.
21 They have moved me to jealousy with [that which is] not God; they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: and I will move them to jealousy with [those which are] not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.
B. Where He Seeks
- A Fig Tree
- Not from Thistles
- Not from Thorns
- Not from Briars
- The tree had a name of a Fruit Bearer
- Awe if we bear the name of Christ
- He looks for the Fruit of a Christian Life
Mark 11:13 (KJV)
And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not [yet]. note italics: -- (not the season for figs)
- Fig trees bear fruit before leaves
- This was early & had lots of leaves
- The fruit should be ripe & juicy
Galatians 5:22-23 (KJV)
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
- Lots of fruit here
2. THE DISCOVERY
v. 13 - He found nothing
13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
- It had the appearance of abundant life
- Had a great display of activity & attractiveness
- So with our lives full of vigor & action
- We may be morally attractive
- One thing lacking FRUIT
“Simple Faith P.166 Chuck Swindoll - Robert Robinson
3. THE JUDGMENT V. 20, 21
20 And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots.
21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.
It was cursed because it was useless
- What is the value of a
• Church membership,
• A Hope
• A Life
- If there is nothing to satisfy the living yearning soul of Jesus
- The day of grace is passing