Summary: This message is based on an article written by my good friend, Dr. Richard Sparling, and looks at several facets in the question God asked Adam and Eve; Where are you?
WHERE ARE YOU?
• The Story of Genesis 2:15-17
• Chapter 3
• 1-6 – The Temptation And Fall
o There is a play on words here. The words for crafty and naked are very similar
o Biblically speaking, nakedness could be defined as being oblivious to evil
• 7-8 – The Testimony Of Failure
• 16-19 – The Torment Of The Flesh
• 23-24 – The Truth That Is Final
Genesis 3:9 (KJV) And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
Genesis 3:9 (NIV) But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"
WHERE ARE YOU? – THE CHARACTER OF GOD
• Almost begs the question, Didn’t God know where Adam and Eve were?
Genesis 3:8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
• Verse 8 and verse 9 refer to God as the LORD God. This is God in all of his Attributes and Character
• God is both omniscient and omnipresent, so, Yes He knew exactly where they were because when He called them He had the knowledge of exactly where they were and was there with them when He called them!
• God was not searching for Adam, He already knew where he was.
• God also knew what Adam had done and those same attributes that allowed God to know where Adam was also allowed Him to know the future result of Adams actions.
o God could see and know the future effect.
o God could see and know the future price Adam’s actions would cost.
• God asks us the same question He asked Adam, Where are you?
o God is watching you every moment of every day
o God is observing you every moment of every day
o God is interacting in your life every moment of every day
o God knows the choices we make, even before we make them
o God knows the motivation of our choices, even if we try to deceive ourselves
o God knows the outcome of our choices
o God also knows the future impact of our choices
SO WHEN YOU BLOW OFF CHURCH, OR SUNDAY SCHOOL, OR PRAYER MEETING, GOD KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE AND GOD KNOWS WHY YOU ARE THEREAND GOD KNOWS WHAT YOUR MOTIVATION IS.
SO YOU NEED TO ASK YOURSELF THE QUESTION, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN GOD’S HOUSE?
WHERE ARE YOU? – THE CONDITION OF MAN
• Why did God ask the question if He already knew the answer
• God was stirring conviction in Adam’s heart
• Bible says they were hidden – which is impossible in reality
• The issue is not that they were hidden; the issue is that they were not where they were supposed to be!
o God was in the habit of fellowshipping with man. That’s why we were created, to have fellowship with God. Where we are supposed to be is in a place of fellowship with Him.
o The fact that the Bible says God walked in the garden leads us to believe that God visited the garden in physical form
• The reason they were not where they were supposed to be is because they were not in the condition they were supposed to be in!
o Sin affects our desire to fellowship with God
o That’s why God tells David,
1 Samuel 15:22 But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.