Summary: We all go through storms, we can either blame God for the storm or allow Him to be our source of strength in the storm.
Title: Where Is God?
Text: Psalms 10:1-3
Intro: Through out history there have been days that will never be forgotten. Roosevelt declared that Dec. 7 1941 was a day that would live in infamy. Many here today still remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard of John F. Kennedy’s assassination. I myself will never forget where I was on the day that Christa McAuliffe had her life come to such a tragic end, along with the other astronauts of the space shuttle Challenger. Nor will I forget coming home after taking the kids to school and turning on the T.V. that morning to see a Jet being flown into the trade centers, watching as people leaped to their deaths, and watching as the death toll climbed to nearly, 5000 people. I went into the bedroom and told Tammy to get up because something was happening. I remember setting in the church that night as people came; not so much to pray but to just be comforted in their spirits that this was not the end of the world. I remember trying to prepare a message for that week, as God led me to the thought of “I know who holds tomorrow.” Today I would like to look back to last year and try and answer the question that so many were asking and continue to ask when ever they are faced with problems or tragedy in their lives. “Where was God?”
I. The Puzzle
- “Where was God?”
- This is a question that could be asked through out time.
A. Joseph could have asked that question
1. Where was God, when Joseph was being sold into slavery, by his brothers?
2. When Potiphar’s wife tried to get him to sin and he did what was right and found himself in prison
3. When the butler forgot him down in that dungeon.
4. Where was God for Joseph? He was with him every step preparing Joseph for the day that he would save a nation from starvation and would stand before his brothers and proclaim that what “they had meant for evil God had meant for Good.”
B. David could have asked that question
1. When Saul was jealous and was trying to kill him with a spear.
2. When he had to live and hide in the caves and longed for the water from the well of Bethlehem.
3. When he had to act insane to live under the protection of the
4. When he and his men had gone out to battle only to return to an empty camp and found that their families and possessions were gone
5. When his men turned on him and thought to take his life.
6. Where was God, He was right there with David, protecting him under the shadow of His wing for the day that the nation of Israel would call him King.
C. Job could have asked that question.
1. Here is a righteous man
2. Loves God
3. Finances are lost
4. Family is murdered
5. Health is gone
6. Where was God for Job? Proving that in spite of the tragedies of life He is God.
7. Just because you may do everything right it does not exempt you from the attacks of the enemy.
Job 1:21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.
8. Through it all Job maintained his resolve and commitment to God.
Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.
D. Paul could have asked the same question
1. In prison for the gospel
2. Beaten for giving the good news
3. Ship wrecked
4. Snake bitten
2 Corinthians 11:25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
2 Corinthians 11:26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
2 Corinthians 11:27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
5. Where was God for Paul? He was there assuring him that:
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
E. So many others:
- 3 Hebrew Children
F. Where is God for you?