Summary: "WHERE IS THY GOD?"
Psalm 42 - 43 "WHERE IS THY GOD?"
I. The Provocation Of The Scoffers -
A. The Irritation - 3 while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?
1. The Desire - 1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
Desire for a Person, - O God, Desire with a Passion - As the hart panteth
Desire with a Purpose - after the water brooks - Satisfaction
2. The Design - 2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God:
God is :- A Living God, A Loving God, A Listening God.
3. The Determination 2 "When shall I come and appear before God?"
B. The Isolation - 3 My tears have been my meat day and night,
while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?
1. The Taunts - Where is thy God?
They were Continual, Personnal - unto me, Theological - Where is thy God?
Mt 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
2. The Tears - 3 My tears have been my meat day and night,
Personnal Tears - My tears, Plentiful Tears - my meat
Perpetual Tears - day and night,
3. The Tests - Where is thy God?
Their Source - Demonic, Their Stubborness - Determined - continually say
Their Strategy - Doubt - Where is thy God?
C. The Imagination - 4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
He Remembers :- The Hosts of God - for I had gone with the multitude,
The House of God - I went with them to the house of God
The Help of God - with the voice of joy and praise
The Holiness of God - with a multitude that kept holyday.
II. The Problems For The Saints -
5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me?
1. The Answer To Dejection -
a. The Failure Is Internal - why art thou disquieted in me?
b. The Fix Is External - 5 hope thou in God:
1) Our Hope Is In God - 5 hope thou in God: 2) Our Help Is From God - 5 I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance
2. The Answer To Depression - 6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.
a. The Recognition of The Problem - "my soul is cast down within me"
b. The Resolution to The Problem - therefore will I remember thee
1. The Waves of Sorrow May Come -
7 all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.
2. The Worship of Song Must Come - 8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me,
III. The Puzzle For The Soul - It Seems we :-
A. Have Been Deserted -
9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me?
B Have Been Detached - 10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?
C. Have Been Downcast - 11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul?
and why art thou disquieted within me?
Psalm 43 "HERE IS THY GOD!"
I. Our Cry - 1 Judge me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation: O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man.
A. A Cry For Liberty - 1 O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man.
B. A Cry For Leadership - 3 O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles.
C. A Cry For Light
1. We Desire God's Word - 3 O send out thy light and thy truth:
2. God's Way - "Let them lead me"
3. God's Worship 3 let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles
II. Our Commitment - 4
A. Sacrifice - 4 Then will I go unto the altar of God
B. Satisfaction - unto God my exceeding joy
C. Song - yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God
III. Our Confidence - 5
A. A Personal Challenge - 5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul?
B. A Profound Certainty - "Hope in God"
C. A Praising Countenance - for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.